Bramptons with Woodhead Monroe Damper

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Another point that I've often wondered about is my Spindles appear to be in the other way around to everybody else's. Square ends on the righthand side as you sit on the bike.
All the books show them coming in from the left due to the left handed cycle thread dog bone casting.

Flyinglow

Forum User
VOC Member
Gene,
My dog bones appear to threaded the other away around. I stripped off the paint and they are stamped up HRD and with the LH/RH markings. Doesn't affect the function, just seemed a little odd.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have found the LH threads are always on the end with the square. Nobody says you have to put that on the LH side tho', all they do is pull the dog bones up tight and they don't really care which way around that is!

Marvel

VOC Member
Is that mounting bracket for the clock on the side of the bramptons a factory thing?
It’s the same as the bracket for the speedo but the opposite hand. I made it when I fitted the tacho. I assume it’s the way the factory did it when they fitted a tacho or clock.

A Nut

VOC Member
To Alan L,
If your squares are on the left hand side it just means that they have been assembled the wrong way around, in which case your damper wingnut must be on the left hand side. I don't think this will matter. I would leave them until the next time you have to strip them.
Brian

Marvel

VOC Member
Looks like the fork damper wing nut is on the wrong side on the Rapide in Where is it Now. Maybe it was a Rapide thing so you could keep the throttle pinned when adjusting the damping. Something weird going on with the dual seat too.

Flyinglow

Forum User
VOC Member
To Alan L,
If your squares are on the left hand side it just means that they have been assembled the wrong way around, in which case your damper wingnut must be on the left hand side. I don't think this will matter. I would leave them until the next time you have to strip them.
Brian
A Nut, I've tried that, it can't be assembled the other way around as the the threads in the Dog bones dictate which way the Spindle goes in.

Marvel

VOC Member
92BB7D74-BC9E-4AB7-B284-E1D202D7120A.jpeg
back together and a quick ride down to Mudeford quay. The damper doesn’t leak and the forks no longer bottom out or top out suggesting the pre-load and rebound damping are about right. It did develop a misfire and the speedo acquired a mind of its own but I don’t think these are related to the damper rebuild. They both fixed themselves by the time I got home anyway.

Last edited: