Bramptons with Woodhead Monroe Damper

Marvel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My 1939 Comet has been modified with a Woodhead Monroe coil-over damper on the Bramptons. I have tweaked it to extend the length and add some more pre-load and it works quite well but leaks. I haven't stripped the damper yet but assume it leaks past the internal piston then out the wiper seal in the body. Does anyone have any experience of this mod or know where I can get replacement seals or get it rebuilt? I could let all the oil leak out and just use the friction damper but where's the fun in that?

A Nut

VOC Member
Hi There,
I have seen these units fitted to a variety of bikes over the years but have never seen one minus the spring and cover to see what the construction of the hydraulic unit is like. Does it look as if the unit can be dismantled? as with the Koni? If you could send me some photos along with dimensions both open and closed I can make some enquiries as I have had a pair of units made for my Victor. The main problem is that it is difficult to get the closed length short enough as the adjustable part of the damper takes up about 3/4" in the base of the unit. Send me what you can and I will make some enquiries.
Brian Werrett (joint Series A organizer)

Marvel

VOC Member
Hi Brian,
The damper is currently on the bike being used. I have removed the covers and can see oil is leaking from the shaft seal when fully extended. I need to make a tool to dismantle the damper but expect the shaft seal has failed. Ignoring the leak the actual damping is ok. Ideally I can replace the seal and re-use it. At the moment I’m just using is as a spring with the original friction damper and will strip it over the winter. Hopefully I can get a replacement seal.
I see in other threads on here there are concerns that the original headlamp bracket is not strong enough to be used as a damper mount. This mod has had a more substantial bracket fitted. It has also removed the spring claw so no going back.

Attachments

• 02BAE412-845D-4A18-85FD-FBCDB85A83D7.jpeg
    02BAE412-845D-4A18-85FD-FBCDB85A83D7.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 32

vibrac

VOC Member
As discussed often with my series B coil over damper a clever bracket set can attach a unit to the spring claw

Flyinglow

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi There,
I have seen these units fitted to a variety of bikes over the years but have never seen one minus the spring and cover to see what the construction of the hydraulic unit is like. Does it look as if the unit can be dismantled? as with the Koni? If you could send me some photos along with dimensions both open and closed I can make some enquiries as I have had a pair of units made for my Victor. The main problem is that it is difficult to get the closed length short enough as the adjustable part of the damper takes up about 3/4" in the base of the unit. Send me what you can and I will make some enquiries.
Brian Werrett (joint Series A organizer)
Hi was this issue ever resolved? I have two of these units that don't work on initial travel as a damper. So the forks are a bit 'bouncy' just replying on the spring. Although no oil leaks are obvious, I suspect they are low on fluid. They work great upside down, but the then the spring shroud fills up with water!!
It was suggested fit a grease nipple and refill, not a route I really want to go down

Attachments

• Monroe Damoer 2jpg.jpg
    Monroe Damoer 2jpg.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Monroe Damoper.jpg
    Monroe Damoper.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 33
  • Monroe damper 3.jpg
    Monroe damper 3.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 35

delboy

VOC Member
Worth approaching someone like AVO for an adaptable replacement modern damper? Size and shape might be an issue, but you can only ask.
Percival Bros and Webb seem to have done a fair number of these conversions years ago.
regards,
Delboy.

Marvel

VOC Member
I enquired with Falcon Shocks who are local to me but haven’t had a reply yet. Their website says they can rebuild most shocks. I need to chase them but if there are 3 to rebuild they might be more keen to respond.

Flyinglow

Forum User
VOC Member
Another point that I've often wondered about is my Spindles appear to be in the other way around to everybody else's. Square ends on the righthand side as you sit on the bike.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I understand the original spring has its limitations and having modern damping is nice. The works shocks at least did not butcher the girder like this older mod did, it was superior in my mind. If you ever did to you could revert to spring if needed.

Would be really nice to use the originals mounting locations if new systems were benign thought of.

Marvel

VOC Member
Had a chat with Falcon Shocks and I’ll take mine to him next week to see what he can do.