Brampton

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What is the difference between a series A and B Brampton fork ?Is it possible to fit an A fork to a B UFM ? Erik

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
No its not possible to fit series A Bramptons onto a series B as far as I know. The headstock on the series A was shorter (by 1/2" I think but don't quote that) and so the distance on the fork leg tubing themselves are also shorter between top and bottom links in that area.

I have heard of somebody going the other ways and fitting series B Bramptons to a series A and putting a spacer in on the headstem but I don't know how that worked out.

Simon

timetraveller

VOC Member
For many years the late Bruce Flood Thane used B Bramton forks on his A single. He was well aware that they were not correct but he was a high milage rider so the handling was adequate. I remember him discussing it but I do not remember the details but I do remember that Bob Stafford's name was mentioned. As for the other way around I have no knowledge.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I have B Bramptons on an A single. It came to me with a spacer under the headstock top nut. This meant that the distance between the rear link pivots was shortened in relation to the length between links on the fork. As far as I could see this made the wheelbase extend excessively as the fork spring was compressed. I changed this to put the spacer below the bottom head bearing, restoring the angle between the links.

B Bramptons have bushes on the spindles and use 7/8”handlebars, both changes which appear to be improvemens.