FF: Forks Brampton Steering Stops

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Can we get back on track now guys. Something is amiss here and it would not have been like this for the past 70 years and surely I'm not the only one that has had this problem. (famous last words). I have now encountered another problem with these Bramptons. Read the next thread.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
It been clearly established that I’m a little different.... so what’s your excuse for hanging onto cracked bearing races. #yardartbin
Much more of a braggart bin labelled "Shit I have destroyed on my Vincent" which is on the shelf next to a box of string labelled "Pieces of string too short to keep"

The first one has smashed double gears, bent lay shafts broken followers, destroyed pistons, trashed big ends, eviscerated clutch sprocket, and even its smaller mate. A whole lot of heartache in there, not to mention cubic $$$$

The string box by comparison has, well, string!

So there, thread suitable diverted, but when in self imposed lock down what else can I do??????

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Greg has pointed out an important note in posting #12 of the other Brampton discussion:

Here is what Greg wrote in itialics:

"Looking at your steering stops, the travel is too much, this is what Ken was asking about in his first post about the steering stem being too low to contact the stops on the head lug correctly. I think it is common problem perhaps an over look by the factory, as I have had the same issues with bikes I have done, including replacement forks assemblies in the last couple of years. leaving out the FF 36 washer (if one is present) can help out a little here."

FF36 washer was never fitted on the Bramptons (Series A & B) and looking in the Vincent parts book this washer and the felt seal is not listed or shown in the diagram MO30 either. I have checked my early B copy and later B/C copy and both agree.
If you fit FF36 to Bramptons it wll drop the lower yoke the thickness of the washer and so exagerate the problems with the steering stops contact area. I guess originally there was no way of stopping water etc getting into the lower bearing, or from keeping the grease in the bearing which is why Vincent added the felt washer and FF36 when they designed the Girdraulics.

Simon

greg brillus

VOC Member
Because the Brampton's like many other items produced outside the factory could be a compromise........Is the lower stem assembly a common part that was used on forks to suit other makes of bike perhaps. The fact that the main rib on the lower stem seems to miss the factory "Stops" on the headlug may not have been a major concern for the factory so long as the bars and fork components didn't hit the tank. The cramped set up of the handlebars can be an issue with the best of these bikes, especially when extra electrical switches and so on are used. It is one of those little mysteries we may never know the answer to.