Brampton steering column

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am close to assembling my B forks and when I examine the FT207 steering column it appears that it really doesn't matter which way round it goes on assembly. I have a picture of it prior to dis-assembly showing the undrilled grease bosses in the lower casting facing the front wheel, and this puts the slot in the column for the nut at the front too. I fear it may have been assembled incorrectly anyway, since it came to the previous owner as a basket case and to me assembled this way. It almost appears the the slight denting from the head lug steering stop is at the side with the bosses when I examine it, so it may have been backward. I can't find anything on this in the references, so perhaps someone can kindly go look at theirs and let me know which way round to fit it or better yet, does it really matter. Thanks,

Ron

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Thanks John,
It appears my instincts were correct and the bottom casting was assembled backwards with the grease bosses forward. I still can't see that it would hurt anything, since all would function correctly, but the side without them is nicer looking and not so chewed up by getting mashed into the steering stop for a couple of decades.

Ron

john998

VOC Member
Hello, yes mine has the grease nipples to the rear. Don't forget to fit the damper assembly before you fit the spindle. John.