FF: Forks Brampton Refurbishment

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Now that Ray Daniels is is no longer refurbing Bramptons who or what are the other alternatives?

alan wright

VOC Member
Bonjour Rob, try Autocycle Engineering in Dudley. They have done 3 sets of Bramptons for me but the last set was 14 years ago although they still advertise girder fork refurbishment but there may be a queue !!
Phone 0044 (0) 1384 253030 or e-mail sales@auto-cycle.co.uk.
Regards, Alan

Albervin

VOC Member
Now that Ray Daniels is is no longer refurbing Bramptons who or what are the other alternatives?
Just today I reassembled a brampton fork that Jake rebuilt. Yesterday I had cleaned it and sprayed it with primer. They are a real PITA to assemble but the clearances are perfect and there is no issue with anything. The bushes in the top links are very close (a good thing) and will take a few miles to bed in. I test fitted a front wheel and it was a very snug fit (again, good). The price was fair (not cheap and not expensive) and the time frame was, as always, a bit longer than I wanted. I am about to post a picture of it with a comment on the FB page.
Having said all that; Ray was VERY cheap but the time frame (for me) for a new/rebuilt set was over two years. His original quote was increased by 50% because people were buying forks from him and then selling on eBay for 100% more. His forks were fine and I believe he made the forks for Neal Videan's Series A replicas and Neal would never accept second best.
So, without pre-empting the costs of your rebuild, mine were new tubes and some straightening, re-bushing for £1200. A new set from Mike Breeding will be about £4,000. IF any of your links or the yoke are beyond safe rebuilding then Jake will tell you to buy a new piece because second best is dead dangerous.
I have no affiliation or interest in Jake Robbins jakevinteng@aol.com other than a satisfied customer.

Rob H

VOC Member
Jake Robbins, Vintage Engineering in England

That's the other name I could not remember

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
But forks with N V. Came from Ray.
These from Neal I think from Ray
5848D716-90C0-4DFD-89B7-679C9C6494D7.jpeg

Albervin

VOC Member
Yes. Definitely from Ray. All the "extras" are from the VOCS. They look like "B" forks. Ray used to send them out painted.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Ray may not be refurbing original Bramptons, but he has just posted a new set of his brand new series B Bramptons on eBay UK: