Brampton modifification with damper?

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,

I have just bought a new series B (well that is to me new than) and doing a complete rebuild on it
and want to convert the forks with a damper/ spring unit.
now I have seen one with a Monroe unit, and was wandering where or whom might just have one.
am prepared to weld a bit on the top or bottom link. (then I get some new casts from Michael Breeding)
I can also do one from Dave Molloy, but they are shiny alu, not black.
anybody got one? or a diffrent idea?
regards

Vincent

PS and how doe i put a picture here?

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Found it, Thats Her
rap b bar 006.jpg

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
unmolested and very extreemly original yes, but not good overhauled, loose bearings on the mainshafts, loose cam spindles, other than that it 'll be a pretty straight forward rebuild, its all apart now and stripping of the piant by a furniture alkalis system, not blasting yet as it is powdercoated.
carbs are done already. Alton is in. Pazon is in. internal aprts are in. in 3 weeks line drilling of the main bearings, making oversise rings, and before that weld up the pin take up of the selectorplate (precaution)
revision cranck is in.
so by next year i'll be at Hever with this. and I dont want to jump up and down the road, but have a bit damping on it

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hi All,

I have just bought a new series B (well that is to me new than) and doing a complete rebuild on it
and want to convert the forks with a damper/ spring unit.
now I have seen one with a Monroe unit, and was wandering where or whom might just have one.
am prepared to weld a bit on the top or bottom link. (then I get some new casts from Michael Breeding)
I can also do one from Dave Molloy, but they are shiny alu, not black.
anybody got one? or a diffrent idea?
regards

Vincent

PS and how doe i put a picture here?

At the recent Vincent meet at the Ace Cafe there was a Rudge (Ulster or Special) that had a Hagon spring/damper unit fitted to the front forks. I didn't meet the owner and so I don't know whether it was a home made modification or was as supplied by Hagon. The dimensions looked similar to the Brampton spring. It might be worth investigating.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Hi Vincent,

It seems everyone who has fitted a hydraulic damper to the Bramptons finds it a big improvement. Unfortunately I am still a couple of weeks from my first outing on my B project using the Thornton modification. (and your brakes). Others who have used it are very satisfied. As I mentioned in a previous post, this does require some fabrication of mounting clevises. I would not worry about the original Brampton fork parts, especially the top mount, since it is designed for the spring already. The bottom Thornton mount is on the Brampton spindle housing, and was intended for the headlight stays. This seems rather chancy in theory, but other users have had no problems, and it is strengthened since it is tied to the bottom spring claw by a small gusset. With your capabilities, I think you could manufacture a bottom mount that would be similar to others I have seen that fit both the headlight stay mount and the claw, and possibly providing another place to mount the stays that does not slightly pivot with the damper. If you do that, make one for me.... (I bet when Michael Breeding gets his complete Bramptons finished, he will sell quite a few of them, as they are undoubtedly a lot stronger than the 65 year old originals.) As to color, you have a point, but if disassembled the aluminum parts could be black anodized. I kind of like the aluminum finish.

I notice your speedometer seems to sit a bit more horizontal than mine. Different bracket maybe?

Ron

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
At the recent Vincent meet at the Ace Cafe there was a Rudge (Ulster or Special) that had a Hagon spring/damper unit fitted to the front forks. I didn't meet the owner and so I don't know whether it was a home made modification or was as supplied by Hagon. The dimensions looked similar to the Brampton spring. It might be worth investigating.
Hugo, The Hagon unit for the Rudge is available, or at least was, from their website. So it is "off the shelf", if it is in stock and if it is not there may be a wait for them to make a new batch.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Series D principle - seat hinged at front and just located at the back. Mind you the D rear cowl can't fall backwards permitting the seat to drop, like the seat stay could.