Brampton improvement

Stéphane Membré

Forum User
VOC Member
Hello,
I would like to improve my Brampton fork by replacing the spring for a spring + damper unit. I have seen this at the IOM rally. Has anybody got hints?
Regards, Stéphane.

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Improving Bramptons

Alyn Vincent (c'est vrai...or possibly soi disant......) in Australia has done this, and today, on jtan, is asking if anyone else wants pictures before he sends the unit back to IKON (who took over KONI's business) for modification. His email is avincent@ozemail.com.au

john998

VOC Member
Bramptons

Hello, Some years ago I got this unit from our then esteemed editor Robert Watson.
The unit is American and has transformed both the comfort and the handling. Only regret is that it came to late for my Cadwell days.
Will try to attach a photo or two, if this fails will upload to the miscellaneous photo section under Brampton's.
John.

Stéphane Membré

Forum User
VOC Member
Brampton

Hello, Some years ago I got this unit from our then esteemed editor Robert Watson.
The unit is American and has transformed both the comfort and the handling. Only regret is that it came to late for my Cadwell days.
Will try to attach a photo or two, if this fails will upload to the miscellaneous photo section under Brampton's.
John.
Hello John, Thanks a lot for your quick answer, the photos are already there, yours or someone elses, that I don't know. I must admit I use internet without understanding how it works, just like with my Vincent.
All the best, Stéphane.

Stéphane Membré

Forum User
VOC Member
Brampton

Hello John, Thanks a lot for your quick answer, the photos are already there, yours or someone elses, that I don't know. I must admit I use internet without understanding how it works, just like with my Vincent.
All the best, Stéphane.

So your photos are displayed, the montage seems quite simple so quite intresting. Do you know from with unit it has been done? Could it be a Thornton, I called them a few days ago, they don't propose any dampers unit for the Brampton but maybe they did some time ago.
Regards, Stéphane.

john998

VOC Member
Bramptons.

Dear Stèphane, Sorry but all I can tell you is that the unit was made by a company called Works performance shocks in California.
It is apparently a gas emulsion unit and pressured to 250psi with nitrogen.
It makes the front end as comfortable as a series D with girdraulics
Regards John.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Works Performance made me about 12 of these some years ago. I tried then to have them make me another 25, but after messing me around for about 6 months, they wrote and said that on advice from their attorneys they would not make any more. The Issue seemed to be that firstly they carry no liability insurance, and secondly that we were mounting them (in their opinion) to a place not designed for such by the factory, they declined to make them. If fact we were mounting them with bracketry that hooked over the original lower spring mount plus, for accurate locating, the lower headlight lug. I even sent them calculations showing the shear strength of the mount, compared to a 5/16" bolt in double shear which was the size of their mounting hole, and that the frame parts were in fact stronger than the bolt used to mount the unit. Still they were unconvinced, so I had to give up-. On th eother hand the IKON crowd in Australia seem to be more accomodating. I have offered to take the one off my Black B and send it wherever to have some made if someone wants to undertake the initiative.
Picture attached.

Robert

Attachments

• 102-0241_IMG.JPG
    102-0241_IMG.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 108