FF: Forks Brampton Front Brake Cable Length.

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,

I am making up some brake cables for my Brampton forks and I was hoping someone could give me the length of the cable. I am running my brakes in the same way as the Girdraulics and not like the early Bramptons. So the long brake cable is running across the forks from the right side to the left.

Best,

Gene.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
Not something I would risk without a lot of clearance above the top links after seeing what happend when a pot hole met my friends cable he went to hospital and the brake stops were torn out of the brake plates.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Not something I would risk without a lot of clearance above the top links after seeing what happend when a pot hole met my friends cable he went to hospital and the brake stops were torn out of the brake plates.

So many Bramptons I have seen I have the cable running that way. Sure they cant all be wrong. I am open to the discussion with other brampton owners.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
I purchased my new front brake cable from the VOC spares Co. Fitted perfectly with length dictating it went to the left side of the balance beam with plenty of clearance everywhere. Many big bumps, humps and deep potholes later - no issues.

Albervin

VOC Member
Heavy duty cable from VOCS to the LHS for over a decade. Route the cable through a clean space. I know Tim has been banging on about this accident but I think maybe the cable was not routed properly. I have hit some serious holes and bumps here in Australia and no issues other than flat spots on rims.

vibrac

VOC Member
I would have never given it a second thought either i saw the bike a few times before the accident and it looked Ok (The guy knows more about bikes than me) I also saw the results it was very sobering, I have never seen stops pulled out of the front plate before. the rider is OK now he did a lap of the IOM in the VMCC invite lap last year