FF: Forks Brampton forks

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Although there seems to be some concerns in using the headlamp bracket as the bottom fixing without any additional strengthening, I know that does not apply to you Vincent, but is there anyway of calculating what that bracket should safely withstand.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I was going to say, that look like a WP shock to me as they have been the only ones that could supply one to be used in the inverted position. In my dealing with them many years ago it was the headlamp bracket that concerned them should it break, however at the time I did the calculations using the lowest shear strength cast Iron I could find listed and it was still stronger that the 5/16" dia bolt that held it in double shear.

oexing

VOC Member
Looking at forces going into bottom and top brackets from road bumps into the shock absorber cannot be much more than the spring fully coil bound plus the rubber bump stop on piston rod. So less than a ton my guess. That should be allright with the headlamp lugs of Bramptons - but then, it may look a bit more comfortable to use the mudguard lug below in the same alu bracket. That is my plan still, but certainly with modded Fournales oleopneumatics there, just 50 mm diameter and not even one kilogram/2 pounds.

Vic

Albervin

VOC Member
I did start the process of having a prototype made using my coil over as a pattern. My unit has given over twenty years of faultless service on Aussie roads. Then along came Covid to interfere with the process. I am now in coronary care in a major Sydney hospital and expect to be here for at least another two weeks. Rest assured that NO progress with the shock absorber will be happening this year.