FF: Forks Brampton fork type ???

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For my very long time restauration I will have a retubing job on an ex-Argentina Brampton. What puzzles me is the very different tubing as it is now: Sizes are different and ALL tubes are tapered. So I´d be very interested to hear your opinion whether that is a thoroughly butchered type - or possibly prewar , no idea. If prewar or any unmodified I will keep sizes, else I am thinking of removing tubes and beefing up castings by TIG welding high nickel layers in order to make them suitable for HRD size tubes as shown in the sand blasted standard Brampton in my photos. So I am hoping for more info on that one to assist in my decisions.

Vic

P1060513.JPG

P1060510.JPG

P1060507.JPG

P1060505.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
I am in contact with Jake, thank you. But I wanted to know what type of Brampton I got , so in case that is not a butchered fork I would have it retubed just as it is now. Otherwise I will possibly do a lot of welding to return to the correct tube diameters, non tapered at the straight front tube. So does anyone have a Brampton like in my pictures ?

Vic

Dinny

VOC Member
I thought all bramptons had tapered tubes. I have a set of pre and post war and they both do. My B came from Argentina as well and it had plates welded on the outside of the forks. When they were removed the bottom castings fell off and so they were retubed by Ray Daniels. I would say yours could well be a similar bodge but with the front tubes replaced with what could be found.

Mark

vibrac

VOC Member
Those plates may have been originally added to stop the bottom of the tubes before they enter the lower casting bending under braking in racing conditions with AM4 linings (i have seen that happen about 3/4 to 1" above the join)
If I were to buy one of the uprated brakes on offer nowadays that is exactly what I would add to my Branptons.

Dinny

VOC Member
I maybe wrong but I think they were added because the tubes had fractured and so rather than replacing the tubes, plates were welded on.