Brampton fork details

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a new set Brampton forks in service on an early B Rapide. In looking into the details on these forks there appears to be some washers missing from these Bramptons, maybe not important, but originally installed and visable. I see them included on original unrestored Bs. Anyway my question is what are the dimensions on the following Vincent parts -
FT234 plated washer 1/2" 4ea
FT236 plated washer 7/16" 4ea
since the bore is stated 1/2 and 7/16....... what is important to me is the OD and thickness.
Could I guess? probably, but someone who has access to these could provide exact numbers.
Some cheap digital calipers, walk up to a Brampton set or a bike, and measure quickly.
Thanks
Craig
1945MagArticle1.jpg

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
The top washer is .7620" in diameter. The lower link washer is .8865" in diameter. They are both approximately .06" thick. The bike is an original B that has never been restored. The thickness was difficult to measure. The bike in not in a position where I can fiddle with it, so I had to do it with a depth gauge.

David

craig

VOC Member
Thank you very much David, This is exactly what I needed. For some reason these are not supplied any more. Not enough demand I would say. I have ridden these Bramptons on a B Rapide about about 200 miles and I find the Rapide handling better than a Comet....not sure why...I love my Comet....I thought the B would be a tubby, but it is not. I really like the handling.
Cheers
Craig

vibrac

VOC Member
How do they vary from 508 and 571 from the spares list?
remembering that bramptons were 'bought in' complete

nkt267

VOC Member
find the Rapide handling better than a Comet....not sure why...I love my Comet....I thought the B would be a tubby, but it is not. I really like the handling.
I found the same between my Comet and my brothers Meteor..John

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Even better with a coil over hydralic damper

Great, I will get a Woodhead Munroe conversion fitted at the weekend, all joking aside, what is best available unit to use for a coil over damper conversion, do you simply hack or machine off the bottom spring claw to fit it.

Albervin

VOC Member
Shame on you Peter. My unit is fastened at the top as per normal and then fastened to the headlamp bracket. Been that way for 14 years and no problems. The unit is a modified Koni with adjustable pre-load and adjustable damping.