FF: Forks Brampton Coil Over Shocks

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had to do a lot of repair work on Brampton castings because most of the tubing was unsafe. I fitted stainless adapters to the castings to beef up incredibly weak parts. All TIG welding was high nickel material for joints that are either very hard or for unknown steel assemblies. You can play extra safe by having pure nickel rods like used on cast iron components, but Brampton items are no brittle cast iron anyway. Jake Robbins did the retubing later.

Vic

P1060632.JPG

P1080251.JPG

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I agree I don't think I would be happy to rely on just the lug as it was not designed for that purpose, even though it may be well up to the job.
The bottom of the damper also rests onto the link. As I have said before, this set-up has been completely without trouble for over twenty years. It has crossed Australia, been on gravel roads, hit big holes and bumps in the road and run over a wayward skateboard. The rims however have been buckled several times due to the roads so if there is a weak "link" it is the wheel rims. Here is a picture of the back side of the unit. Of course it is your choice and I am merely putting this offer forward. If you are in doubt you could buy a link from Mike Breeding who makes his parts from much sturdier metal.
DSC00004.jpeg

Jon 99

Forum User
VOC Member
The bottom of the damper also rests onto the link. As I have said before, this set-up has been completely without trouble for over twenty years. It has crossed Australia, been on gravel roads, hit big holes and bumps in the road and run over a wayward skateboard. The rims however have been buckled several times due to the roads so if there is a weak "link" it is the wheel rims. Here is a picture of the back side of the unit. Of course it is your choice and I am merely putting this offer forward. If you are in doubt you could buy a link from Mike Breeding who makes his parts from much sturdier metal.
View attachment 37309
Replacing the link would be a good option, but a big job beyond my expertise. Same old story one job leads to another.