FF: Forks Brampton Coil Over Shocks

Mark Stephenson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Alyn, after reviewing all options I see why you are taking this course--you will have the best option for Bramption's. Count me in for 1. What are you running on the back?

Jon 99

Forum User
VOC Member
I have a rebuilt standard Vincent unit on the rear end.

I have a model b rapide and am interested in the coilover. I note the length looks about 300 mill from the base of the top thread to clevis hole. I have jacked up the bike( wheel off ground) and it measures about 270 mill from under the top mounting to the top of the bottom yoke/ cross member. I can't measure to the headlamp lug because a previous owner chopped it off! I would therefore have to make up a lug and weld it on assuming the material is suitable for welding. It just seems a tad long.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
I hope the above doesnt mean you are relying on the headlamp lug position as your only bottom security. On my USA unit (which I have displayed on here recently) it only serves to reinforce and secure the plates that hold the unit on the original spring anchor projection.

Albervin

VOC Member
I have a model b rapide and am interested in the coilover. I note the length looks about 300 mill from the base of the top thread to clevis hole. I have jacked up the bike( wheel off ground) and it measures about 270 mill from under the top mounting to the top of the bottom yoke/ cross member. I can't measure to the headlamp lug because a previous owner chopped it off! I would therefore have to make up a lug and weld it on assuming the material is suitable for welding. It just seems a tad long.
After twenty years of riding on many types of road it has been wonderful.

Albervin

VOC Member
I hope the above doesnt mean you are relying on the headlamp lug position as your only bottom security. On my USA unit (which I have displayed on here recently) it only serves to reinforce and secure the plates that hold the unit on the original spring anchor projection.
All I can say is it has been used for over twenty years and no problems. I think Robert Watson incorporated the extra lower "security" to satisfy the manufacturer. I cannot comment except that after twenty years of crappy Australian roads, dirt, gravel, pot holed and highway; nothing has broken. I guess you could weld a plate inside the lower link if you were that concerned., however I would want an expert welder to do that job. Remember, the spring is only 130lb.

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
I would be hesitant to do any welding unless you are an expert. Buy a new link for safety.

Jon 99

Forum User
VOC Member
I agree I don't think I would be happy to rely on just the lug as it was not designed for that purpose, even though it may be well up to the job.