FF: Forks Brampton Coil Over Shocks

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I suspect the lower yoke and/or the forks. Without pulling them apart it will be guesswork. This is not a one day job but I am willing to send a new set of forks to Ken to test.If it ain't right there is a reason and no amount of questions and answers is going to fix it.

oexing

VOC Member
When studying girder forks in this respect I do not see an easy way to prevent hitting any parts on the fork at full extension or compression. There are no dedicated travel limiting features on most, so individual springs will be the factor in this problem. Some have sort of control springs but effectiveness questionable. One could try to fix some rubber pads on strategic places on tubes or head casting to soften any bangs, a leather or stainless steel cable strip may limit extension too. Not a lot of choices for girders unless going to coil over shocks to control travel.

Vic

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I remember Ron, Welding a set of brackets and Fitting a pair of very thin scooter front dampers, Either side of the spring,
On His "A" Twin, Then they changed the rules in 1964 !!.

Albervin

VOC Member
Ken, when there is no load on the front wheel what is the distance between upper and lower spring mount? I have just taken all the load off the front of my B Rap(no spring, no damper) and the back of the forks touched the lower yoke at 10 3/4" Measured from the bottom of the bottom mount to under the top mount lug. What is the history of the spring you have fitted to your bobber? It may not be entirely clear from my pictures earlier but the maximum extension of my coil-over is 10" between those points.

Last edited:

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Ken, when there is no load on the front wheel what is the distance between upper and lower spring mount? I have just taken all the load off the front of my B Rap(no spring, no damper) and the back of the forks touched the lower yoke at 10 3/4" Measured from the bottom of the bottom mount to under the top mount lug. What is the history of the spring you have fitted to your bobber? It may not be entirely clear from my pictures earlier but the maximum extension of my coil-over is 10" between those points.
Front jacked up, no load on the front wheel, top cross bar of the girder assembly resting on the top of the coil spring. From the bottom of the spring to under the top mount lug, 10 1/8" The history of my spring is that it came with the forks that were bought new Ray Daniels forks and they have always been this way.

Albervin

VOC Member
Looking at my "new" Ray Daniels forks there is daylight between spring and top-cross bar. Something very wrong there with your forks/UFM ??

alan wright

VOC Member
I have sent my home made coil over shocks (designed by an engineer) to be tested after the great garage disaster. They have come back with a clean bill of health after being tested on a jig and examined for any stress or cracks. I decided to have a couple of replicas made by the suspension manufacturers (IKON) in case I wanted to convert my C Shadow to a B Shadow just for fun. I have now been asked by two people for one. This is a call out for any expression of interest for a coil over shock for a Series B (Single or twin) that is a straight fit with no modifications required. I have used this unit for over twenty years and have had not had a single problem. The spring rate is 130lb which may sound light but in combination with the damper is just perfect. IF you want, you can change the damper oil or even change the spring rate, but with the adjustable pre-load on the spring you probably won't need to. What I am trying to find is a number of units to have made as a job lot to minimise cost per unit. At the moment I have no costing but hopefully that will come in a couple of days. You are not committing to buy but just expressing an interest. I am prepared to take the manufacturing costs on board and then pass on as people want one. I strongly suggest you know the condition of your forks before going down this road. I have three sets of Brampton forks and have had them properly checked out for their integrity. In my opinion they give the ultimate ride comfort on a Vincent short of Series D springs and modified head stem on a C. I use a 21" front wheel and Avon tyres.
Bonjour,Please add me to your "interested" list for "Peron's Revenge". Best regards, Alan Wright