Misc: Everything Else Brampton Coil-Over Damper

hadronuk

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is there any possibility of a coil over front unit for Bramptons?
I have been asked this a few times, but I have never looked into the details. I know there used to be a Monroe(?) unit available. I would certainly like to see how they did it, no point in reinventing the wheel. I think both AVO and I would be concerned about the safety implications of putting suspension loads into parts that were not designed for it. In addition, a guinea pig with Bramptons would be required, the potential sales volume may not be viable, and lastly we would like the dust to settle on the new coil-overs first!
Rob

Goffy998

VOC Member
Rob
I've fitted a modified IKON unit to my Bramptons & have had no problems with anything breaking, I can send photos if you like. I wasn't happy about the quality of the IKON unit & sent it back once, but it was returned just the same hence looking for something better.

hadronuk

VOC Member
Rob
I've fitted a modified IKON unit to my Bramptons & have had no problems with anything breaking, I can send photos if you like. I wasn't happy about the quality of the IKON unit & sent it back once, but it was returned just the same hence looking for something better.
Yes please, that would be interesting. Rob

ossie

VOC Member
I have been asked this a few times, but I have never looked into the details. I know there used to be a Monroe(?) unit available. I would certainly like to see how they did it, no point in reinventing the wheel. I think both AVO and I would be concerned about the safety implications of putting suspension loads into parts that were not designed for it. In addition, a guinea pig with Bramptons would be required, the potential sales volume may not be viable, and lastly we would like the dust to settle on the new coil-overs first!
Rob
look through the photos I put a few to show how the woodhead Monroe unit was fitted to the bramptons on my shadow 50 odd years ago still on there.
OSSIE

Robert Watson

VOC Member
102-0241_IMG.JPG
Rob
I spent some time with Works several years ago and got them to make a dozen front coil over dampers for the Bramptons. They absolutely transformed the front end from pogo stick to motorcycle, however when I went back to order more they declined claiming the lower mount to the headlight lug was not acceptable. I measured the lug and presumed it to be the lowest grade of cast iron and found that it was sufficient in my opinion, plus I made an extra support that hooked over the lower spring mount. They would have none of it. These have now been on the road for at least ten years and not one failure. The unit needs to run "upside down" IE. with the rod pointing down, for the spring to clear everything. Plus of course there needs to be lots of little bushings so that the lower mount can rotate. I think that there maybe some version available from the Thornton distributor as shown in MPH

Albervin

VOC Member
Rob
I have been using a modified Koni with coil over on the front of my B Rapide for 17 years. The bottom mount is probably what has insurance companies worried. It has performed well over all Australian roads which can be worse than going down a coal mine! I used Ikon to get the right Spring strength and I wouldn't swap it for anything! I have recently bought a C Shadow and would seriously contemplate putting the same type of Brampton front end on it.