Misc: Everything Else Brampton Coil-Over Damper

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Has anyone tried to come up with a twist on bottom clevis to mount to the existing spring attachment point?

It seems to me that in terms of geometry and strength it would make sense to try to use the factory mount?

Interested in thoughts.
Yes my coil over uses the original clevis so a coil spring could be remounted plenty of pics on here (use search)
I have it on my Comet I no longer worry about medium potholes and with a rear coil over its a very good set up

Oldhaven

VOC Member
The upper mount uses a girdraulic pad bolt in the clevis, (I forget the number). It is threaded into one side through a tight clearance in the other side and is locked solid with a nut since the shock body is bushed from the factory at that place. There are two oilite bushings in the lower clevis mount, but nothing in the Brampton headlight bracket/mount. The double nutted pivot bolt is shimmed to a close fit to the bracket with brass washers. The original lower spring mount is still there so The Brampton spring can be refitted if desired, and I have it on the bike now until I get around to refitting the coil over. There is little rotation in use, but enough to warrant bushings.

vibrac

VOC Member
Here is a general picture of my unit I think the originators did not think that a headlamp lug was not man enough to take a full bump hit having seen what happens when a normal spring breaks I would rather be safe than sorry
1619426667961.jpeg

vibrac

VOC Member
Its the stop light pull on the front brake beam. Stuff the back brake one, (Dont belive them when they say tthe series D was rubbish it did get at least one thing right! :eek:TIC )

Marvel

VOC Member
I’m a bit late to the party but my Series A has been converted with a Woodhead Monroe coil over damper. The spring claw has been cut off and a new mount brazed on which doubles as the headlamp bracket fixing. The damper was too short so I made an extension piece and added a spacer to increase the pre-load. All the oil leaks out after a few miles but works ok until then. Anyone know where I can get some replacement seals?

Attachments

• F2D5FE47-5F3B-4B51-AE4C-444064D8369D.jpeg
    F2D5FE47-5F3B-4B51-AE4C-444064D8369D.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 26