H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Brakes

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
From Bernd's site:

first-assembly-768x576.jpg

The shoes have a deep section and nice ribs, compared to standard items.

davidd

VOC Member
At the risk of declarifying things, I did this descriptive image for Bernd:

Bernd Brake Desc.jpg

The red arrows show the direction of movement.

When you spot what looks like the cams, they are not cams. The brake shoe cams are directly underneath what appears to be the cams. Those cams simply hold the shoe in position. The smaller red arrows show the brake arm cams pushing on the shoe, so to speak.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
The Lansdowne allow TLS brakes in the standard Hub so we CAD CAM up a copy of the racing brake plates with a 7" TLS arrangement using standard parts and shoes. (std ribbed hubs)
It has been successful this season and still being developed but if we get time we will go for re-profiled and strengthened shoes for next season
1631793846681.jpeg

1631794215191.png

Colin

VOC Member
Hi Peter
Since your friend is having "a very special Vincent........" That implies it will not be a "standard" bike. So...... a better bet would surely be discs.
Lighter, more efficient, easier to maintain etc etc

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
At the risk of declarifying things, I did this descriptive image for Bernd:

View attachment 44818

The red arrows show the direction of movement.

When you spot what looks like the cams, they are not cams. The brake shoe cams are directly underneath what appears to be the cams. Those cams simply hold the shoe in position. The smaller red arrows show the brake arm cams pushing on the shoe, so to speak.

David
David
I need your help in understanding your brake diagram, as I look at your diagram of one brake plate it only shows me 2 x leading shoes, so what makes this brake a 4 x leading shoe brake, is it purely that on a Vincent the brake drums are doubled up so 2 x 2 leading shoe brakes gets described as a 4 x leading shoe brake set up.
I am sure that I am just not understanding something.