H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Brakes

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I too tripped up over this but came to the conclustion that it is the fact that there are two brakes that lead to the 'four leading shoe' description.

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hi there,
Just saw the thread about my brakes.
You are right, the brakes are 2x2 ls brakes.
The 4ls may be misleading, it's probably because English is not my mother language.
In Germany all Grimeca, Oldani etc 2x2ls brakes are called 4ls brakes or double duplex
In case anyone is interested in a set, I have a new batch on production. Unfortunately my foundry who made the first batch went into bankruptcy because of the financial problems evoked by Covid19 restrictions of our government.
I found a new really good foundry but all the moulds needed changing to fit their sandcast moulding machine.

I hope to get the new castings in soon.

Cheers Bernd

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Yes I didn’t want to get into semantics, especially when someone is not using their native tongue, and I am only able to speak one language, but I was confused.

By that reckoning we have all been riding around with twin leading shoe front brakes from the very first HRDs. The genuine 4 x leading shoe front brakes are extremely complicated pieces of engineering,

I can only imagine they are quite complicated to set up correctly, and they would not look right on a Vincent, not from the ones I have seen anyway.

I thank Bernd for his clarification.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I've run several types of 4 l/s brakes, mostly on race bikes but some road bikes.......This includes several of Vincent Speet's brakes, Suzuki GT 750, Ceriani 230 mm, Yamaha 260 mm TZ, Fontana 230 and 250 mm magnesium........They all work very well, the larger ones way, way better than any Vincent brakes........Nice to use them if you can........Some are rather heavy, so increasing the unsprung weight, but the brake performance is worth it.

Lenni

VOC Member
Nürburgring.jpg
Hi, here you see Bernds brake in action. Nürburgring end of May this year. The brake workes brilliant.

highbury731

VOC Member
The internal 2ls linkage on Works Nortons. The top left illustration also shows an external hydraulic damper on plunger rear suspension.

Attachments

• Works Norton twin leader .jpg
    Works Norton twin leader .jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 29