H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Brakes

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A very good friend of mine (sounds like the intro to an agony aunt column) is having a very special Vincent built from scratch, he has posed me the question “what is the opinion of the 8” 4 X leading shoe brakes that are advertised in MPH”

I have no idea of how good or otherwise they are, on looks alone I prefer 7” brakes, and as we know the excellent but recently discontinued brakes manufactured by Vincent Speet are well tried and tested.

Has anyone had any experience of these German manufactured brakes, they certainly look the part if you don’t mind the increased diameter.

Any opinions would be gratefully received and I will pass them on.

Godet Motorcycles

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Peter ;)

It seems they are the same as the club but in aluminium.

They have 4 shoes yes, but two cams. So they are not 4 leading shoes. I think it s exactly the same brake power as the club ones.

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Some folks in the Scandinavian section have tried them and reported them to be quite good. Pat Manning has one ready to fit but has not swapped the wheel into the Shadow. I would contact Bernd and ask him about putting you in touch with a user.

I do remember years ago reading a comment by Phil Irving who stated that he regretted making the drum diameter 7". The leverage ratio for the large diameter tires was wrong.

David