Misc: Everything Else Brakes, Linings, Drums and Shoes

Matty

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was directed from somewhere to a supplier of brake shoes at around £80 a pair as against £300 I have been quoted elseware, which looks very good if mine get lost in the Post, but I cannot now find where the information came from and my machine tripped out at the moment I as trying to save the file.
I think it may have come from Timetraveller but not being very IT literate I canot find the information again.
Help - can somebody give me directions to the information please from here
Matty

Matty

VOC Member
Was worried that my brake shoes might get lost in the Post and that 2 replacement pairs might cost in excess of £600 though I valued them at this based on another quote for the Post insurance out, but this does not cover the return.
This latest offering looks as if I can buy nice new shoes for about £80 a pair plus linings which is a much better deal for around £200.
I do not expect mine will get lost but I now feel comfortable that the bike will not be off the road for ages while any loss situation is being sorted out.
However I can not use it much while the lock down is in operation - only for collecting food or medication!!

[U]T [/U]
[U]timetraveller[/U]

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member

20 March 2020

There was a time when replacement brake shoes for the post war bikes were difficult to source. I have been involved with the development of replacement shoes and a photograph is shown of the items. They are made of LM25 heat treated and several changes (hopefully improvements) have been made to the originals. They are stiffer than the originals by incorporating stiffening webs. They do not have the small tongues sticking out to take the springs. Instead they have robust through holes. In addition they do not have the dips at the end of the brake linings which allows a longer lining to be use if wished. They will be supplied in pairs only, complete with the spring and metal end plates (H48) fitted. The price, per pair is £80 and you can organise the fitting of your preferred linings if you wish. Alternatively, they can be supplied with linings suitable for touring use or alternatively for racing use if you wish. The price for touring linings fitted is about £12 per shoe.

1584699618857.png

Like Like Quote Reply

Matty

VOC Member
Have fitted brakeshoes relined by Saftek which came back for £52 for 4 shoes in around 4 days.
I hope I have have attached a picture of the shoe lining which is "woven" and light green.
Have filed a taper on the leading and trailing edges and also taken a small tapered skim off the outside and inside edges to make sure that any wear on the drum is missed.
The linings were also a snug fit in the drum but seem to be OK and not rubbing.
The performance is greatly improved. but it will be interesting to see how they work once fully bedded in, and how they work when hot - though they will only be used for touring.
New Brake Lining 2020.jpg

Chris.R

VOC Member
I just simply need to know where to look for front brake adjustment the various manuals Stevens, Richardson and Riders manual seem vague on the matter, I have new relined shoes turned to fit and now need to know how to complete set up with the new cables, my 54 Comet has the balance arm stop mod fitted. I need a set of instructions.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
All you need to do now is grind the drums on the wheel bearings to get it perfect.
Can you fit wheels without brake plates and measure the excentricity as there will be some.
bananaman.

Chris.R

VOC Member
All you need to do now is grind the drums on the wheel bearings to get it perfect.
Can you fit wheels without brake plates and measure the excentricity as there will be some.
bananaman.
Hi all is assembled but balance arm does not return when the cable is tightened and the lever applied.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think the long cable might be too tight ?,
Do you have the outer spring on the brake plate, Speedo side ?.
Is the balance beam free ?.

Chris.R

VOC Member
I think the long cable might be too tight ?,
Do you have the outer spring on the brake plate, Speedo side ?.
Is the balance beam free ?.
Hi just as I was about to answer I got a phone call from Alan he and brother Arthur were outside my garage with a would you like the brakes set up so I just had an institutional on brake set up and now is done so just waiting on a new dipswitch to finish of the electric set up then petrol and oil can go in and see how she runs.

Thanks to all for help.