Brake Shoe Bonding

jueledwards

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone know where (I am in the USA) I can obtain some Brake Shoe Bonding Adhesive in small quantities? Enough for two motorcycles. I used this stuff in 1959 or so; which I obtained from a Chrysler Dealer. He gave me a pint out of his large bucket-full. I seem to remember clamping the linings onto the shoes and baking them in the oven a short time, not very hot temperature. jueledwards@bellsouth.net This same stuff should be also for brake pads on disc type.

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Jule,
Try anyone who repairs brakes on tractor trailer units, as most are still drum brake on the trailers..

Neil
Currently in Cary NC

jueledwards

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Jule,
Try anyone who repairs brakes on tractor trailer units, as most are still drum brake on the trailers..

Neil
Currently in Cary NC
There are many commercial brake re-builders but as I said: I did it before and i want to do it again myself, not hire it out. As my Mother often said "if you want it done right, do it yourself". Not that there are not good craftsmen available out there somewhere, it is just a matter of pride that I am restoring these two machines myself. There must be some adhesive available to us home workshop mechanics.

John Cone

VOC Member
As a truck fitter by trade most commercial brake linings are still rivetted in to place. Exchange shoes can be provided by your friendly VOC spares stockist i believe.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
As America is the land of the "free" +the home of litigation. I doubt that any company will sell the adhesive to a "do it your selfer" For a few bucks thet will most likely bond it for you , look on the net, Regards, Roy.

litnman

VOC Member
Bruce,
We used to use a product called Resourcinal. It was one part powder and one part liquid. Baked it at around 350 degrees. Devcon use to have something similar. Used it on clutches an brakes. Never had a problem.

John

timetraveller

VOC Member
When I used to race and sprint and did not know any better I used to use normal epoxy resin to bond the brake linings onto the brake shoes. The only precaution I took was to put the epoxy onto the aluminium first and the use a sharp item to scratch all over the surface of the aluminium, under the epoxy, to ensure that the epoxy was sitting on top of un-oxidised aluminium. I never had any trouble but I was probably lucky. These days there are many suppliers of heat resisting epoxies and Loctite also do heat resisting products.