Brake pedal spring anchor

delboy

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On my TTC, the torque arms are on the outside because it came with the composite/racing brake assemblies which are noticeably wider than std ones.
Yes, I'm a nurd too - and enjoy being one. It's better than focussing on all the anger and bitterness circulating around the world at this time.... along with Covid19.
Peter B
Nurds of the world unite!
I have a couple of snaps of a "560/1" taken from an RFM untouched since the early 60's. I know that doesn't mean much, but it does have the look and feel of an original part.
The only trouble is, I can't work out how to get them from Photos onto here?
Simple [I mean word for word!] instructions anyone?
Delboy

delboy

VOC Member
P1010012.JPG

delboy

VOC Member
Sorry, making a dogs breakfast of attaching a photo.
Lets have a stab.
On the primary side, "560/1" that looks to me like the correct thing. Complete with wear on the hexagon from kerb, chain? And a blob of Stove enamel on the end of the torque arm.
Torque arm from inside the lug. [Road going brake plates]
[For racing plates, torque arms outside.]

On the Timing side [Road going] the normal 560 Hex setscrew with head on the inside and locknut on the outside.

By the way, the "waisting" at the end of the torque arm is needed to clear the RFM when fitted on the inside.
Why they carried on doing this post-war when it was unessesary? Just for show?
Hopefully we're somewhere near.
Cheers, Delboy.

delboy

VOC Member
Hi all.
A bit more trivia.
I have found a very high quality photo of the timing side torque arm at the front end.
This is from an "A" Comet untouched, yes untouched since 1939.
It shows a thin 5/16 CEI locknut on the outside, torque arm on the outside! and QED 560 or similar length hex setscrew fitted from the inside.
Good enough for me.
Cheers,
Delboy.

Last edited:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
One thing for sure if a torque arm is fitted inside or out then the bolt will be fitted through the arm first so the bolt can be adjusted for swivability before the lock nut is tightened, if torque arm is fitted after the bolt then it is only the lock holding the arm, just a safety fact. All of mine are fitted as per post-war arrangement. To me the photo from Peter is the nicest idea with the Lightning style torque arm, I remember making a pair in the early days of ownership then I fitted a Stieb braking on a hill they bent when the outfit went backwards !
bananaman.

Last edited: