Brake pedal spring anchor

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello,
Sorry to ask again but I searched in "The Alternative Spares List" and in "Back to A" but I hesitate. What is the reference of the pedal spring (FT162/1) anchor? Does it is 560/1 ?
Does Conway sell both ?
Thanks.

Last edited:

delboy

VOC Member
Hello,
Sorry to ask again but I searched in "The Alternative Spares List" and in "Back to A" but I hesitate. What is the reference of the pedal spring (FT162/1) anchor? Does it is 560/1 ?
Does Conway sell both ?
Thanks.
Hi Michel,
I think the alternative spares list has a mistake.
On drawing 25, It lists FT162/1 as Propstand spring and Brake pedal spring.
There are indeed two springs which are the same but I think the number should be part number FT162. [These would be the "barrel shaped" type with loose swivel ends, and FT162/1 the parallel, one piece spring]

It also shows the pin that the propstand spring attaches to, as F24A. This is incorrect. It should be F41 Propstand spring pin.

On drawing 21 is shown 560/1
My guess is it should have an F number originally, but I don't know it.
It is a 3/8 CEI threaded stud with a slightly ball end to attach the brake pedal spring. It has a thin locknut.
On the post-war bikes this is 560; a 3/8 CEI hex setscrew.

There are many more misleading numbers and illustrations, but of course definitive information is hard to come by for the pre-war bikes.
Cheers, Delboy.

Michel

VOC Member
Thank you very much Delboy for your explanations.
Does anyone knows which reference is this pedal spring anchor ?
Greeting from Belgium.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Michel,
I've never seen any 2 "Series A Foot-Brake Lever Spring Anchors" looking the same! So I decided to use some 'artistic license' and manufacture my own...
P1080711.JPG

Peter B

delboy

VOC Member
Michel,
I've never seen any 2 "Series A Foot-Brake Lever Spring Anchors" looking the same! So I decided to use some 'artistic license' and manufacture my own...View attachment 38296
Peter B
Just showing off you lathe work Mr B.

I recall, years back Glenn Shriver didn't have a lathe so, made a very close copy of the original part by using a post-war PD11 Primary chain adjuster bolt.
He cut it in half and used the ball ended stud as a reasonably good [as I understand it] original looking F**? or 560/1 as the alternative list calls it.
As I recall, the "A" torque arms goes inside the RFM lug, so the thin locknut would go on after the torque arm on the end of the stud..
Cheers, Delboy.

delboy

VOC Member
Just showing off you lathe work Mr B.

I recall, years back Glenn Shriver didn't have a lathe so, made a very close copy of the original part by using a post-war PD11 Primary chain adjuster bolt.
He cut it in half and used the ball ended stud as a reasonably good [as I understand it] original looking F**? or 560/1 as the alternative list calls it.
As I recall, the "A" torque arms goes inside the RFM lug, so the thin locknut would go on after the torque arm on the end of the stud..
Cheers, Delboy.
Hmm,
just looked at PG251 of "Back to A" and the works racer appears to have its Torque arm outside of the lug.
On PG 246 the works hack looks like they are inside!
I need to enlarge what pics I have to see what's what.

Just to confuse matters even more, there are at least two types of lug that the torque arm bolts onto! The earlier one is a separate lug brazed on the tube and the later type the lug is part of the main pivot casting.

Michel

VOC Member
By examining the photos in my documentation, I see that most motorcycles do not have the spring. On others it is stud with a slightly ball end to attach the brake pedal spring as described by Delboy. And finally on others it is an anchor similar to F24A.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
This is how my bike is done and the anchor I made 10 years ago copying what I assume was a rusty original.
Simon

Oh dear it shows the brake torque arm inside the RFM which will add to the discussion.

IMG_1422 - Copy.JPG

delboy

VOC Member
Thanks Simon. Lovely photo.

Typical Series "A". When something that appears to be what we know-we don't!
Talking to others and looking at what few detailed original photos there are, it looks like the torque arms were sometimes inside and sometimes outside at various times! Maybe it depended who built the bike? We probably will never know for sure.
Certainly, the important thing is the torque arms need fitting so that they line up as near straight and in line with the lug at the front and the brake plate pin.

As for the "bolts" at the front end of the torque arms.
The primary side one is the one with a "ball" on the end that at the moment we are calling 560/1.
The question is, what is it's original shape and size? Is it a ball ended stud, a ball ended bolt, or some other permutation?
As with other things, maybe Vincent's chopped and changed a bit over the years?

There seems no reason why the front fitting on the Timing side torque arm should not be a normal 560 bolt and locknut, a-la post-war.

Only nurds like me interested in this?
Back to the photos.
Delboy.

A_HRD

VOC Member
On my TTC, the torque arms are on the outside because it came with the composite/racing brake assemblies which are noticeably wider than std ones.
Yes, I'm a nurd too - and enjoy being one. It's better than focussing on all the anger and bitterness circulating around the world at this time.... along with Covid19.
Peter B