Brake linings...

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Bob,
A shim, e.g. 0.010", is usually placed between the cam and the end of the brake shoes before turning in the lathe. When the the shoes have been turned to the same size as the brake drum, removal of the shims gives a running clearance.
When arcing the linings to the drums there is, I recall, a shim put between the shoe and the lever...what is the purpose of this shim, and what is it's thickness?

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
The Robinson double sider in my old triton was skimmed to .005" clearance without a shim installed and could out-stop other classics with disc brakes! Forunately we only run ten lappers .

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I bought a Robinson twin twin leading shoe brake with my first Egli (EV16) from Roger Slater, I got to admit it looked great but it was was a cr*p brake ,when closely examined it was poorly finished and did not fit properly. Back in the mid 60's I was prety green ,I had no machine tools or contacts but I did the best I could.
At a Bantam club meeting on the old Snetterton straight they had a speed trap she hit 132 mph, two weeks later I went back with a top fairing this time there was no speed trap but luckily a good gravel one at the end of the straight. It was that which finaly brought me to rest, still upright in a cloud of brake smoke. I got the lever to the bars, knackered the front and cracked the single rear brake drum. I gave the remains of the Robinson brake to Ron Kemp who lived down the road to see what he could do as I remember he never got them to work.
I got a secondhand yamaha racing brake from a TD never worried again.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
After sending my shoes away to get relined...I now find that there is no one in the city who can arc the shoes to the radius of the drums...Oh the joys of owning a Vincent in the colonies...

nkt267

VOC Member
Do you know anyone with a lathe? You can do vincent brakes on a lathe as small as a Myford..john

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
That was my thought...so I started calling machine shops...there are some days when I wish I lived elsewhere...