Brake linings...

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
John MCdougall uses DV Aldous Company in Vancouver. From memory they do bonded and rivetted linings, typically they supply the lining. I have those brakes on the Rapide that John restored for Leo Lee back in the late 80s. They work very well, not quite as good as the Ferodos on the OZ Rapide, but close. The difference may be in the fact that the OZ bike has the alloy vented backing plates.

DV Aldous
3505 Fraser St, Vancouver, BC V5V 4C5 Directions 604-876-2226
5.0 out of 5

Read 1 review

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Except DV Aldous changed owners and moved a year or two ago and don't have the same linings available they did 20 years ago --- no asbestos!

They do however still reline brakes from an even worse looking shop than before. They do soft and hard lining. I did soft ones on the A's and just did hard ones for a C Rapide. The A twin stops OK and the C is still not together so nothing to compare.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
well hopefully the phone number for Aldous is correct. A google search for them gives 3505 Fraser st. address from seven different sources, no other address listed, so I'm not sure if it their new address or not.

You might inquire as to whether they will line your shoes with material supplied by you. Vintage brake still shows stock of some good old carcenogenic green Ferodos, they could ship them to you or directly to Aldous.

Glen

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
A measurement of the new drums, compared to the stock drums shows an increase in size of nearly 1/8"....

alscomet

VOC Member
CollingsBob or Bob Collings,try this web site pop them in the post and await their return.They usually do a turnaround within 24 hours yours may take a little longer. Speak to them first.
WWW.custombrakes.co.uk Alan

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Alan, and everybody.. I was directed to phoenix friction products http://www.phoenixfriction.ca/
by Phil Mahood..these folks tell me that they no longer reline brakes for moder cars or trucks, preferring to specialize in older cars and motorcycles..they have a very fast turnaround and can do riveted or bonded linings-and most importantly for me,my requirement of a 5mm thick lining is not a problem.So-shoes will be Fedex'ed today..

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
When arcing the linings to the drums there is, I recall, a shim put between the shoe and the lever...what is the purpose of this shim, and what is it's thickness?