Brake Fettling

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the speedy reply Robert. Unfortunately Sept 2001 was before my time with the club. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to scan the relevent page and post it in this thread.

On a slightly different subject, I assume that editors past and present compile MPH electronically. How difficult would it be to create an electronic archive of MPH back copies? Could this be done on-line or even as a cd ROM that could be sold through the club shop. Am I over simplifying matters and it would actually be loads of work?

Pete

MPH was compiled in my era (and before me by J Webber, and I think Graham may have changed) with specialty composing programs such as Quark Express. Whilst these can be changed to the ubiquitous MS Word or some such, a great deal of formatting would be required. There was one Member scanning old MPH's and putting them on a disk I believe but I'm afraid I have a bad memory, and don't recall where that stood.

Robert

Down to missing only two MPH's #71 and #130

G

Graham Smith

MPH was compiled in my era (and before me by J Webber, and I think Graham may have changed) with specialty composing programs such as Quark Express. Whilst these can be changed to the ubiquitous MS Word or some such, a great deal of formatting would be required. There was one Member scanning old MPH's and putting them on a disk I believe but I'm afraid I have a bad memory, and don't recall where that stood.

Robert

Down to missing only two MPH's #71 and #130

MPH 712 - May 2008 was the last edition of MPH to be originated in Quark XPress.

From MPH 713, MPH will be compiled using a relatively new Adobe Product called InDesign.

As far as I can tell, we have electronic versions of all the MPHs that Robert put together, and all the ones that I have done.

Not sure about the John Webber era.

Putting MPH on disk and selling via the Club Shop would take some serious consideration.

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
One step I didn't see in the brake setup story in the new MPH is to "pre-load" the shoes. It involves vise-grips, so many won't like it, but I like the better brakes. I assemble the arms, motion blocks and cable ends loosely, with the adjusters screwed not quite all the way in. Then, I rotate the cam in the direction the cable will pull it, using the vise-grip on the serrated washer, until the shoe contacts. Next, using a third hand, I tighten the nut. This leaves the lining almost touching the drum and leaves the maximum amount of adjustment. As with most things, there is a learning curve. An alternate to vise-grips is SS serrated washers with radial holes and a special pin spanner to fit.

I also have the KTB style balance beam outrigger and Doug Hollis design backing plate gussets.

Sorry but I do not see the need to use vice grips to adjust brakes. This technique works without any bodging at all .On the left hand brake unit tightening the brake came arm nut automaticaly pulls that brake on. on the other side all you have to do is pull the nut up tight, and then using your spanner on the said nuts turn the thing untill the shoes are in contact with the drum. if you did not nip it up ennough all that will happen is the bloody thing will come un done, easy peasy

raygray

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
You could lock the shoes on by removing the grease niple from cam tube and replacing it with a 1/4 bsf bolt tightened onto cam spindle.