Brabham, Phil Irving after Vincent

Spqreddie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes, sad news, and when i read it i tought about Phil Irving and his capacity also on 4 wheels he developed after the vincent period carring him to the F1 title, the first and the last time a stable owner won a title driving his own car. And all this starting by a production engine!

Albervin

VOC Member
While Brabham and Irving were key to the success of 1966 car the third key was Ron Tauranac. Without Ron there would have been no championship. I had the good fortune to meet all three at various times and how they managed to work together I will never understand. Ron is now the only surviving member of that illustrious triumvirate.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Err, I'm pretty sure that Brabham was just another one who used Phil's talent and skill while not rewarding him properly. Someone should talk to Edith before waxing on about Brabham's close relationship with PEI.
Cheers, John

Albervin

VOC Member
See my last post. However, Brabham and Jackie Stewart could drive a car beyond their theoretical limits and still win a race. They both had the "knack". Interestingly, both were tough bastards.