Bonneville

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Congratulations to Kurt Carlson for his 145 mph run on his stock Lightning. The engine number is the same as the plate number.

David

KurtCarlson2011.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That must be strange, With no front brake, We have all got to stop sometime !! I think I would rather do 144 and have a front brake !! Cheers Bill.

Bracker1

VOC Member
Congratulations on an excellent run. Bike looks like a stealth bomber with the flat black paint. Beautiful!

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Way to go Kurt, a fine achievement.

Kurt thinks it may do even better this week once they fix a misfire that cropped up the last couple of runs.

davidd

VOC Member
Scott Dell was helping Kurt sort out the magneto. Trevor is correct, there are miles of salt after the finish, however, it is incredibly rough this year. Stuart Hooper (World's fastest Velocette) set a record around 146 mph and Big Sid also set a record on his Rapide at around 109 mph. Steve D. is helping Max, who did not run today and shifting issues slowed John Renwick (two runs), but I suspect the streamliners will be out early tomorrow. Sid has his 600 to run as well.

Don't hold me to exact numbers on the records as they are not official yet and the competitors should tell their own stories. The Vincents have made quite a showing!

David

mercurycrest

VOC Member
[Big Sid also set a record on his Rapide at around 109 mph

David[/QUOTE]

Wow, and he's "possibly the best Vincent tuner in the World?" John Miller's worn out Rapide did 127 in the early 80's and my old' everyday rider, D Shadow did 124.82 in 1977! Wasn't there a neopyhte guy from Idaho who sat upright on a Shadow because he was afraid to tuck in and set the Production Vintage record at 105ish?

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Wasn't there a neopyhte guy from Idaho who sat upright on a Shadow because he was afraid to tuck in and set the Production Vintage record at 105ish?
Yeah, he is an SCTA Street Roadster guy that goes around 250 MPH in the roadster class that allows the least amount of modifications, like it has to retain headlights, etc and when the SCTA first created the vintage bike classes, he figured he would take his plain ol' Shadow and set the initial 1000cc vintage production record, with basically no special preparation, and the production class limits one to the stock carbs and exhaust system, among other rules.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
My Road bike averaged 141.9 mph on a flying kilo in the 70s and did 111mph over the line of a standing start 1/4 mile=12.6 sec'. I got 99.8 on a flying 1/4 on my road Comet, Was upset,wanted 100 !! Cheers Bill.