Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials (BMST) 2014

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
We all know ,as racers , what can happen. It says on the back of the entry"motor racing is dangerous". Did it stop us ? hell no, I reckon it only made us go faster! We do not need the nerds to tell us our "survival rates"

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
A few riders slowed up in the early 70s, At Cadwell Park, Which I always thought of as Safe !! We lost 5 people in 3 meetings !!, We had a riders meeting first thing and was told " Not to get Killed " Any more and the VOC would not have any more meetings, Makes you think, Well it did me ! But I was Slow anyway, Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Risk?,A run to the shops to buy a paper or 5 laps of Cadwell? do the math. I know where the ambulances are.
Around here its 30 minutes to a known address (and thats the record) let alone an indeterminate stretch of road.
At least at a race meeting accident you have 55 minutes of your golden hour.
and dont forget most people die in bed.

davidd

VOC Member
John Ulver set me straight on my Rollie story. Rollie and I chatted quite a bit at Shadow Lake, but I conflated his story with another. The gent in the bathing suit was on a Triumph and did a lot of damage to himself. Rollie was clothed, but spent too much time on one shoulder and it was his shoulder that he was telling the story about. Thanks John. He was there!

David

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I will be a sector marshall at cadwell this coming week-end, crmc, Ihope the ambulance will not be required at my section. If it is I recon 2-3 minutes and the medics will be with us.

litnman

VOC Member
A local guy got off hard last week. Even with the best leathers he could buy, here's how he described his run:
"I am back from the hospital at Salt Lake. Yesterday I was the first run of the day and I went down in the middle of the timing lights. I was doing between 190 and 210 and the engine seized because of a thrown rod. The rear wheel locked and the bike fishtailed like crazy. It all happened in less than a second. There was no reaction time to do anything. I slid and tumbled for 200 yards according to the witnesses.

My protective gear did its job and I still have a head and brain, The bad parts are that I have a broken shoulder, broken finger, burns everywhere and a long laceration of my right arm and hand. Everything is sore."

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I was always a bag of nerves Road racing, But straight line stuff, I was fine, But as you know, STUFF happens, We were sprinting at Santa Pod once and not many people knew that there was a Huge gate at the end of the 1/4 mile, Went across both lanes and was on wheels, To stop kids racing when it was not a race day, Graham on a 650 Kwacker was flatout, About 100 mph, The WIND got up and the gate SHUT, What a mess !! He lived but was not good for a long time, Like Roy says, Racing is Dangerous ! Cheers Bill.