Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials (BMST) 2014

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The BMST, which used to be called "BUB" when Denis Manning ran it, is on schedule to run next week at the salt flats. The SCTA event was rained out a week ago, but the course was dry enough for BMST to survey the two courses yesterday in the dry spots.

I think the only Vincent running is Eric Patterson on the Viscount. He is pre-entered in two classes:

MPS-VG and
1000-M-CF

At least, that is how they are written in the entry form. MPS is the frame designation and it stands for Modified Partially Streamlined. A Modified frame has to be of the same manufacture as the engine. This being a Norvin, I am not sure how it qualifies, but AMA is not very stringent about the rules. Maybe I have missed something. Partial Streamlining can be anything from a number plate to a full fairing. The" -VG" is the engine classification, which would be Vintage Gas, meaning pre 1956 engine running on track supplied fuel with the petrol cap sealed.

The M-CF class, and I assume both classes are 1000cc classes, is Modified frame designation and Classic Fuel for the engine designation, which is a pre-1980 engine running on any type of fuel, that is , fuel not supplied by the track.

http://egli-vincent.net/2014/07/20/eric-patterson-unveils-his-tuned-viscount-for-bonneville/

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The Late Peter Ross, West London, As Raced, Cheers Bill.
002.JPG

davidd

VOC Member
I heard that Eric Patterson set a record today at BMST in MPS-CG 1000 at 124.86. I don't know why the class change. Tech may have pushed him out of Vintage into Classic or maybe he will run in Vintage later.

David

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I think I read somewhere he planned to run both classes, vintage and classic.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks David, I can't press the "like " button ! I was wishing for a higher speed than that, When it was in road trim, It was a very fast bike, Cheers Bill.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Thanks David, I can't press the "like " button ! I was wishing for a higher speed than that, When it was in road trim, It was a very fast bike, Cheers Bill.

Don't forget Bill, when running in salt, as opposed to on asphalt, speeds will always be lower….

Peter B
Bristol, UK,
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame….

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Peter, Sorry to here about Dennis. I can't get my head around what you say, I have been told it befor, There was a bloke who did 145 on a L/ning afew years ago, He said he did not build it for speed !! Are you saying it would have done 165 on Tarmac ? To me nobody has proved it, And if it makes a bike so slow, Why the Hell go there !! You could not Pay me to go there ! Too far to the nearest Toilet !! How many blokes have made a record there and gone to another place and gone faster ? We have had blokes do 200 on our airfields, Some have ended on the grass at the other end !! When I did my 141 I started on the Grass, Just to give me a bit more run up, The only thing I can think is the air is thinner, So there is less resistence, But we will have to disagree, I am to old to prove anything now. All The Best, Bill.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
It all boils down to HP, traction, and aerodynamics. If your aero is better than your HP, then the traction is not so important, the lower traction of the salt vs Tarmac will not hurt you. But as you add HP, and therefore speed, once you hit the aero limit, then traction matters, adding more HP for a given aero package won't help, because you can't put as much HP to the ground when on salt versus Tarmac.

vibrac

VOC Member
I know I shall get a hit for saying:eek: this but it seems from this side of the pond that given enough classes and sub classes and cc classes everyone can get a record on the salt flats. In addition to that I am with Bill in that I wince when I even see publicity shots of cars driving on the sea shore in the surf, and thats just a tin box, let alone running an aluminium motorcycle on a salt covered surface... the thought of the cleaning afterwards -ugh!

But then Motorcycling is a broad church.