Bonhams Winter Auction

ossie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It depends on how long you intend to own the bike. Having owned Vincents for only thirty six years I have seen a lot of ups and downs. Same with the stock market. Stick long enough and you will be smiling. I remember when E-Type Jags went from £120,000 to £50,000 and people sold BUT people bought. Who's laughing now? I bought my Shadow in 2017 for £50,000 and it probably owes me £62,000 at the moment (freight, taxes etc. to Australia). I don't care because I don't intend to sell it soon. Every time you ride is with £200 in smiles and fun.
£200 that,s more than i paid for my B Black Shadow in 1966 = £10800 for 54 years owes me nothing.

kerry

VOC Member
Some of the Vincent prices were soft. The Black Prince in yesterdays auction at HandH didn't even get a single bid! Though looking back at the Bonhams auction is looks like OHV Flat Tank Sunbeams are the 'new' Vincents when it comes to setting premium prices.
Bonhams let down the seller badly in my opinion here, they would not accept starting bids under £40,000, had they started at say £20,000 it may have gone over the £40,000 !

vibrac

VOC Member
Tim, I think we concurred in the past, Rapide £65.00 in 1965, Comet £15.00 1966, sadly broken up at the same time for spares for the Rapide, and what I didn't use got sold off for pennies, wish I could turn the clock back)
Yes I kept my Vincents BUT I sold my £50 1951 AJS 7R my £15 AJS V twin and mum stoped finance on my £120 Matchless G45 (still have the invoice) Ah well let him who is without sin etc etc.... :confused:

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Only issue with auctions is that as a buyer you haven’t a clue about the state of the working bits, chrome polish and paint are the easy stuff.
True,
But do you have a good... clue even when you can ride the bike for a day??

A bit of a clue yes.

Only opening up the timingside says it all.