Bonhams Winter Auction

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just browsing the list of machines sold I would say prices are a bit "soft". Of course this depends on the reality of the description of the bikes and photos do not do enough to make a real judgement. Some of the Vincents were obviously not correct but if you wanted a Vincent and could work on it then about £13,000 for a Comet project or Meteor seems value. £60,000 for a matching numbers Shadows also seems, on the surface, good value but I am in Australia and no idea the true condition of the bike. If anyone attended the auction maybe you can comment.

Martin1958

New Forum User
VOC Member
Just browsing the list of machines sold I would say prices are a bit "soft". Of course this depends on the reality of the description of the bikes and photos do not do enough to make a real judgement. Some of the Vincents were obviously not correct but if you wanted a Vincent and could work on it then about £13,000 for a Comet project or Meteor seems value. £60,000 for a matching numbers Shadows also seems, on the surface, good value but I am in Australia and no idea the true condition of the bike. If anyone attended the auction maybe you can comment.
Hi Albervin, like you I am remote (in Singapore), so was judging by photo / vid, tho seemed genuine machines - I was onto that Comet and it sold at my drop dead figure, tho not to me. Plus 15% plus VAT, plus a percentage for "wotif", and forget about any shipping etc, that seemed about right I guess?

John Oakes

Non-VOC Member
Some of the Vincent prices were soft. The Black Prince in yesterdays auction at HandH didn't even get a single bid! Though looking back at the Bonhams auction is looks like OHV Flat Tank Sunbeams are the 'new' Vincents when it comes to setting premium prices.

Martin1958

New Forum User
VOC Member
Biggest surprise (excepting low bids on the Vincents) was the Chater Lea - Estimate was 10-15k and there were two people really hot for it - I think hammer down at 42k!! Must check the shed......

Albervin

VOC Member
Biggest surprise (excepting low bids on the Vincents) was the Chater Lea - Estimate was 10-15k and there were two people really hot for it - I think hammer down at 42k!! Must check the shed......
Even with Bonhams stupid low ball estimates that was a stand out.One very happy vendor there .

John Oakes

Non-VOC Member
I think for now though the bubble has definitely burst on Black Shadow prices. I bought one in jan 2018 for £83k. I don't think i'd get more than £75k for it now on a good day!

Albervin

VOC Member
I think for now though the bubble has definitely burst on Black Shadow prices. I bought one in jan 2018 for £83k. I don't think i'd get more than £75k for it now on a good day!
It depends on how long you intend to own the bike. Having owned Vincents for only thirty six years I have seen a lot of ups and downs. Same with the stock market. Stick long enough and you will be smiling. I remember when E-Type Jags went from £120,000 to £50,000 and people sold BUT people bought. Who's laughing now? I bought my Shadow in 2017 for £50,000 and it probably owes me £62,000 at the moment (freight, taxes etc. to Australia). I don't care because I don't intend to sell it soon. Every time you ride is with £200 in smiles and fun.

vibrac

VOC Member
the market would have to drop by almost exactly 99.5% to get down to the price I paid for a Rapide and the £15.00 I paid for a Comet is not really calculable however that was £300 back in 1965 so I must have been free with my apprentiship money.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Tim, I think we concurred in the past, Rapide £65.00 in 1965, Comet £15.00 1966, sadly broken up at the same time for spares for the Rapide, and what I didn't use got sold off for pennies, wish I could turn the clock back)

kerry

VOC Member
This year I bought a nice matching numbers Prince with history and old log book for £42000, about right I think, has electric start and discs too, not sure if it adds value or not. prices have been a bit lower lately although 7 weeks ago my friend got £75000 for a matching C Shadow on car and classic 'auctions' and the only commission is 5% to seller, nil to buyer. Much better deal than Bonhams have got lately, that said 3 years ago they got £119000 for a C Shadow, prices have dropped since even though we get no interest on savings now, so what will happen in 2021 ?
Kerry.