Bonham's Las Vegas Auction Results 2019

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I cannot see the Black Lightning in the list so I assume it didn't sell. Anybody know what it was bid up to?
Simon

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It does not look like you can retrieve that information from Bonhams site, but as you say it does not look like the Lightning sold, another very cheap twin sold at £25181.00, I don't think there is any doubt about that one being a B or C, the engine number is 774 with a Vincent timing chest cover, but the info did state it was a bitsa, also a bitsa Comet for £21500.00, compared to recent times the bargains are coming, bad luck for the investors, good luck for the riders.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
I cannot see the Black Lightning in the list so I assume it didn't sell. Anybody know what it was bid up to?
Simon
I followed the life auction on my desktop where it showed a max. bid of 285.000,- USD. Anybody, who doubts
its originality should ask David Bowen, who has seen and examined it in real with added original parts. There
are few, who have more experience with Lightnings over the years, than him.
I witnessed it running at Barber´s , where it exceeded 6.000 rpm most sychronously, then dropping to tick-over
within 3 -5 secs without a single misfire, only to be blipped up to max. rpm again and thereafter letting loose
the throttle with an orchestral director´s movement of Ernst´s right hand to let it stop to stand still again.
It did all this without any visible vibration, without pushing back a fraction of an inch.
I know no other Vincent Twin running like this one.
From my impression of this auction 90% of offered bikes were way under the estimated minimums, but seemed to have no reserve price in their contract, as they were sold, contrary to RC3548. This shows, that
in many cases large motorcycle collections becoming auctioned, because their inheritors are not interested
in what they got, at all.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
agreed, Simon. But nobody should hope for Ernst´s purchase price in 1966! I shall have a good bottle at hand
when it comes back home and empty it together with Ernst!

Albervin

VOC Member
Prices do seem more sensible at the moment but other machines are still going up. Witness the Green Frame Ducati that sold for over $250,000 and the Crocker for over $600,000. Veterans are still holding up too with a lovely NUT selling for over $25,000. I think the days of $200,000 Black Shadows have passed.