Bonhams Bond Street Sale

John Oakes

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All

I have seen that there is a very nice 1949 Black Shadow coming up for sale at the upcoming Bonhams sale on Dec 2nd.

It looks top notch and that is reflected in the estimate of £80 - 120K

Can anyone confirm that as an early series C bike it is correct in having the series B type straight seat lugs on the RFM?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes John, it is correct that some of the early series C machines had the straight seat lugs.

I have said this before that a lot of changes in 1949 were nothing to do with the introduction of series C and were just general improvements introduced by the Vincent factory across both series B & C. So there is no such thing as a series B or series C RFM as both series used all 3 types (yes that is 3 type) of RFM used in 1949.

Simon Dinsdale

Last edited:

John Oakes

Non-VOC Member
Thats great to know - Thanks Simon.

Im interested in bidding on this bike and just wanted to check up on a few things first!

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
There is a similar one in the Late J S. collection that I had restored for him in the UK seven years back, I was told at the time there were only about 30 of this spec, be interesting to check the length of the RFM

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Well it certainly looks very pretty, I note that it has been "restored to 1949 Earls Court London Motorcycle Show specification" by a Mr Andrew Kenningley of Southport, I assume related in some way to David Kenningley also of Southport, who trades under the name of "Vincent Motorcycles Ltd". Other than the fact that the rebuilt bike looks OK, much the same as any other Vincent that has been sent to the chromium platers, powder coaters and polishers, but does anyone know what the rebuilt bike is like under the glitter. It would be good know as David Kenningley lists one of his businesses as Motorcycle Trader, so one would presume there could be a few more coming onto the market with passage of time.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
At Vincents in the 49 50s we had a Black Shadow on road test with one of the Mags of the days, they complained it vibrated , so it came back to Stevenage and a new engine was fitted, PEI, claimed it was a clash of torrance's + and - never mixes.

vibrac

VOC Member
At Vincents in the 49 50s we had a Black Shadow on road test with one of the Mags of the days, they complained it vibrated , so it came back to Stevenage and a new engine was fitted, PEI, claimed it was a clash of torrance's + and - never mixes.
Another original non matching numbers machine Bonhams denizens wont like that:cool: