Bonhams Bond Street Sale

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I saw this bike at the National Motorcycle Museum last month. A real beauty but you have to ask why is it being sold?? A few answers come to mind including mutton and lamb. Sorry Martyn, not referencing you.I think the only investor rubbing his hands will be the former treasurer of the VOC. My guess is it will not reach £90K. That is a major loss to the vendor if the sale proceeds.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Even if it wasn’t sad I think someone will be quite sad at the end of the auction, that is a very high price for a Shadow currently, and then there are the auction fees, but this could be great news for riders of Vincent’s, it might get the investors to move on to other more deserving things, like gold for example.

Albervin

VOC Member
Even if it wasn’t sad I think someone will be quite sad at the end of the auction, that is a very high price for a Shadow currently, and then there are the auction fees, but this could be great news for riders of Vincent’s, it might get the investors to move on to other more deserving things, like gold for example.
Peter, a man in Australia recently found a 2kg nugget of gold. Valued at $130K for gold content he has been offered in excess of $160K. Almost enough for a Shadow.

cstewart

Non-VOC Member
I've just looked at the pictures of this machine. I heard about this machine through someone I know that lives in Nairn. I eventually went to look at it in Dec 2003, it was stripped down lying in boxes. It's a pity it's lost it's original carbs, speedo and plain timing cover. The engine was heavily corroded as it was previously owned by the lighthouse keeper at Todhead.

Albervin

VOC Member
I've just looked at the pictures of this machine. I heard about this machine through someone I know that lives in Nairn. I eventually went to look at it in Dec 2003, it was stripped down lying in boxes. It's a pity it's lost it's original carbs, speedo and plain timing cover. The engine was heavily corroded as it was previously owned by the lighthouse keeper at Todhead.
The original carbs were probably beyond help. The original cover would have had the W57 stamped so that is a loss. No idea why the speedo was swapped out. Strange it had a plain cover as mine still has HRD cast in and is about 200 higher than this. Hard to tell whether it still has the early style gearbox cover. It should have the intermediate (high) first gear.

cstewart

Non-VOC Member
Surprisingly the carbs were actually in good condition. Yes, early style gearbox cover is there. I can't remember if that was the case when I saw it in 2003. What I can tell you it was an outfit when the lighthouse keeper had it and earls forks had been fitted. It was sold to Ray Lann in 1972 (OLB was present).

Albervin

VOC Member
Surprisingly the carbs were actually in good condition. Yes, early style gearbox cover is there. I can't remember if that was the case when I saw it in 2003. What I can tell you it was an outfit when the lighthouse keeper had it and earls forks had been fitted. It was sold to Ray Lann in 1972 (OLB was present).
It would have been an absolute bugger of a bike with sidecar and intermediate first gear. Even with a 56T rear sprocket. I have a 48T on my solo and the mildest of hill-starts are painful. It is a good gear for hair-pin bends though.