C: Clutch Bonded Clutch Plate - Ten Ear

998charlie

Forum User
VOC Member
I have purchased a new bonded plate for my D shadow. Any idea why this is now 2mm thick (metal disc ) instead of 1.6mm of the previous one? Also it is very very tight in the drum......has anyone had experience of fitting these?

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
About ten years ago, I got one and I filed the drum a bit to free up the motion. When I renewed the plate three years ago, it fit just right, so the drum wasn't made too oversize.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I had the same problem recently, with a new plate and drum. I decided to file the tabs on the plate instead of the notches in the drum. What I did was to put the plate in a vise with soft plastic jaws, with one tab sticking out horizontally. I gave the upper edge three swipes with a very fine small file, making sure the file was nice and square. I then moved the plate to the next tab and did the same, marking the plate near the filed tab with chalk. Tried the plate in the drum. No go, so I wiped off the chalk marks and flipped the plate to attack the other side of each tab. This routine had to be repeated two or three times, testing each time. Once done, it fit the drum with no backlash but slid easily in the notches.

Last edited:

998charlie

Forum User
VOC Member
Many thanks for the quick replies . The salesman at the VOC spares had no idea, especially as to why the increased plate thickness. They are clearly not to original spec.

vibrac

VOC Member
"Salesman"? Bob Michelle and Sarah are still looking perhaps he is hiding in the Amanda in the Club room...
If you want a guess as to the increased thickness I blame the march of metrication I dont think 1.6mm (assuming 1/16" was the original thickness) is high on the sub contractors list of preferred materials. I am sure however if it really mattered they could get some ... here is the extra cost sir......
Filing the tabs as Garry described seems the correct procedure one would expect after the space of 70 odd years a wide variation in drum slot sizes so obviously the tabs will be generous.
It is worth repeating these bikes were hand built by fitters not robots

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think it Twas the same with the Comet plates,
I think we had to leave 1 plate out because there was not enough room !.