Bob Dunn Contact ?

Phil Davies

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Mikeant, pretty sure Bob is late 70s poss 80 now.
I well remember the downstairs of Dave's place at the old dye works - it was Dave that effectively started Bob out, as when Bob was made redundant from the R&D toolroom Dave suggested that Bob do the work to refurb Dave's bike to tide Bob over, and it just snowballed from there once Dave got the message out.
Some of the funniest times were being in on the endless banter between Dave & Bob. After Dave moved out, Bob moved to Coggra Fold and then later to Lowercroft.
In the current horrible circumstances, given his poor health I fear for the worst, I really, really, hope I am proved wrong with him hopefully well isolated 'up on the hill'.

Mikeant

Forum User
VOC Member
In the 70's we lived in Manchester. I was the membership secretary of the Velo OC. Used to race vintage pushrod Nortons. Not quite sure when I got to know Dave, then Bob, but he did machining work for me time by time for the racing machines. I then acquired a Norvin in bits. Taken apart a decade previously for "the rebuild" and never finished. Actually all he done was take all to pieces. Bought some new pistons, and allegedly a new big end. Bob resurrected the heads for me, new guides, exhaust retaining rings. We were pretty poor in those days so a deal was done with Bob, his labour for my lathe. I remember he had a glassfibre Reliant Robin 3 wheeler and somehow the lathe bed went into it. I must have put the rest of it in my Mini.
Another man who gave me great assistance at that time was Bill Hancock, famous in Vincent circles. He sorted out the taper bored barrels and swapped the pistons for me. Meanwhile Bob had been further tasked with sorting out the crankshaft. I discovered excessive sideways play and was suspicious. Turned out that whoever had done the big end assembly had got it wrong so it was sorted. Bob also fixed the main bearing problem, My notes refer to a 2 spot bearing. I cannot now remember what the problem was now but it had to be changed. I always meant to look up old mates in the Manchester area when I was passing through but is over 40 years now and I never got round to it yet.

Phil Davies

Non-VOC Member
Blimey yes, Bob's plastic pig - he did not have a car licence back then.
The late great Bill Hancock, it was Dave that rang me to advise of Bill's passing back then, what a great person he was, the absolute opposite of the 'advised' persona, when he knew you were trying hard to wear your bike out, plainly and honestly spoken, a joy to be in company with - a real treasure.

Phil Davies

Non-VOC Member
A quick update,
I was at Bob's place recently (to retrieve an (unfinished!!) engine) and was quite shocked (and I have to admit, upset) to now see the physical condition of my old friend, even since my previous visit.
To see what is a truly outstandingly great Engineer barely able to stand at a machine tool (let alone use it) is not something I ever want to repeat, notwithstanding that his mental 'sharpness' is also somewhat blunted, anno dommini you are cruel and I detest you.
I wished Maureen and him all the very best knowing that this event would, sadly, be the last time we ever met again.
The drive home seemed endless......

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hello Phil,
I know your feeling very well, it is very sad to hear about Bob's health.
I used to send or bring over bottles of single malt to speed him up working on my engines. I doubt it ever helped, but we liked each other very much and always had a good time in his freezing dungeon [workshop].
Maybe I should send him another bottle for Xmas to cheer him up and remind me of the fun we had together.
I just feel gutted now.

Mikeant

Forum User
VOC Member
Sad to hear this about Bob. It is many years since we last met. Probably getting on for 46 or so. Thankfully I can still ride and the Norvin rebuild is almost finished. Bob helped me a lot, back in the day