Bob Burns and Russell Wright period Avon publicity film

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Starts with Vic Willoughby interviewing BB and RW, then record runs on Tram Rd, Canterbury, New Zealand. VW tries out the Burns + Wright machine on Pendine Sands. Has this one been seen before?

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
hmmm, all that went into buidling a machine like that and no kill switch? Can't imagine trying to remove a spark plug lead while dealing with the throttle stuck wide open on something capable of very high speed.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Agreed; and it wasn't fitted with inferior Mk1 or 2 Concentrics - so the slides weren't about to stick! :p

Peter B,
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Except the throttle did stick wide open and the rider found himself jammed in a tiny space attempting to remove a plug lead at over 100 mph while hurtling toward a cliff face.
You can bet that a kill switch was fitted before the next run!

Glen

highbury731

VOC Member
Carbs are 1 7/16" or 1 1/2", so must be GP

One odd thing I noticed, the film show Vic Willoughby getting in and setting off, then the commentary starts talking about Bob Burns being on board. ?????

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Peter, if your Concentrics are sticking, you must have overtightened them again. This causes distortion of the body. Other than that, they never stick. But I still like a kill switch, because bad things happen!
Glen ;)

A_HRD

VOC Member
Not me, I'm a std man! But I have been working on a friend's Shadow today which is what caused my frustrated comment. Both his almost new Mk1 carb slides stick from body distortion and they are a real pain to "un-distort" I can assure you!

Kill Switch? I concede its a good idea - must get a round tuit…

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame.