Helmets Bluetooth Helmets

John Appleton

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have been using Garmin G.P.S. equipment for the last three years , and the only complaint that I have is regarding the lack of volume on the audio directions . I have tried a hearing aid type earpiece as well as a larger type fitted in my crash helmet lining . Both of these are useable below 30 m p h , but over that the wind noise renders them useless .I now see that Caberg are supplying a Bluetooth helmet for what appears to be the reasonable price of £150 . My question is - has anybody had experience of using a Garmin Zumo in conjunction with a bluetooth hemet and is it audible ?
John

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Caberg Helmets

Hi John,

Not tried the Caberg, but have tried a Nolan with built in Bluetooth, this was OK upto around a ton.

You have to ask yourself if you have a Caberg shaped head:D:D.
Dad's old Caberg was a bit noisy, I dont know if they have improved or not:rolleyes:

Cheers
Neil

PS
I use a set of noise canceling headphones, which cuts out 70% of the background noise

John Appleton

VOC Member
Hi John,

:rolleyes:

Cheers
Neil

PS
I use a set of noise canceling headphones, which cuts out 70% of the background noise
Hi Neill, thanks for that . Could you clarify for me , are the headphones not part of the helmet? This might be an obvious question to those who know but I have only just started investigating so all information is welcome .
I am not sure if my head is Caberg shaped ,
icon12.gif
but we have done a lot of miles together , my Caberg and I , and I would buy another.
See you at Stafford John

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Headphones

Hi John,

I currently have a Shoei lid, not a Nolan, and I use a set of Sony noise cancelling headphones, which have a small box in the line which monitors external noise, then introduces an anti noise to cancel out the background.
It wouldnot help much with the volume level, as this is just low on the Zumo range, but putting the audio through an intercom will improve things, and also allow for bike to bike communications (just ask Dick Sherwin)

Neil

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
Hi John,

We have had a similar problem.

Our Zumo connects to the Autocom unit.
Talking to each other was fine but we could not hear the audio from the Zumo once moving.

So, following a lot of research we have done this.
Put the unit in the car holder and turn the volume up to it's loudest.
Refit to the bike mount and test.
Chris has been out testing and it seems a lot better.

Also try these websites for more info.
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php

http://www.jmcorp.com/
The UK Dealer is Colin Appleyard in Yorkshire.

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
Last edited:

tonythecat

Non-VOC Member
I have been using a Garmin Zumo together with Midland communication system and a Schuberth J1 helmet. The reception and functions are unbelievable, touch screen phone, music and directions and with the Schuberth audible at up to 90 mph (I don't travel much faster).The helmet also provides loads of side vision, and together with its chin bar system gives practically the same protection as a full/flip face.

Tony

rapcom

VOC Member
Zumo Volume

John, Have you adjusted BOTH volume settings on the Zumo ? One is the obvious one from a button on the side, the other is in the "Wrench" section.
I use separate earphones in a Schubert J1, and the nav volume is adequate, even on my noisy Comet.
Have you got the correct impedance earphones ?

John Appleton

VOC Member
John, Have you adjusted BOTH volume settings
Hi Dick , I think you may have solved my problem . I did not dream that ,if you set one volume control , it would not affect the other . This is obviously what Tracey was referring to when she advised setting it in the car . I wish now that I had asked my 6 year old grandaughter to help before I enlisted the mighty forum .
Thanks to all of you who replied and I will now purchase the Caberg lid and report back on its performance .
John