E: Engine Blasting crankcases

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I found out today why Monster energy sponsors motorcycle events
put a can of that in a ultrasonic bath and see how clean the alloy part gets....
not a lot of good for crankcases especially with the Big Nannys sugar tax

Cyborg

VOC Member
Here's an example of a nut rusted rocker cover from a BSA. I was cleaned in a industrial washer with an aluminum cleaning detergent that won't react to aluminum like some dishwasher detergents do. It was then soaked in a derusting solution like evaporust for 6 hours then rinsed. I doesn't have the issues of some acids making a raw fast rusting steel. It won't attack most paints if used for moderate times. Good for sympathetic reconditioning. If you look close you will notice the natural shine that the casting had between the corrosion.

I know I'm a little different, but in some situations, I have used that dishwasher detergent reaction. This head was blasted in the distant past, but still (to me) had a really harsh looking bright blasted surface. A run through the dishwasher gave it a more natural aged look. The photo and the lighting make it look a little different, but again to me, it looked a lot less out of place.

Mr. Boring

VOC Member
I found out today why Monster energy sponsors motorcycle events
put a can of that in a ultrasonic bath and see how clean the alloy part gets....
not a lot of good for crankcases especially with the Big Nannys sugar tax
I know some have used molasses for animal feed to get the same results for
rusting problems but it's another what will work and how fast. Maybe a 60 year
old basalmic vinegar would give the perfect trifecta cleaner. Acid, sugar and the proper decade. :)

Cyborg

VOC Member
That POR 15 metal prep works well for rust removal and unlike the oxalic acid it leaves the surface protected.
Anyone else have good results with a cleaner for the ultrasonic bath. I've only used simple green degreaser and not thrilled with the results, but it could be the cheap machine. Does the monster energy drink really work that well?

Mr. Boring

VOC Member
I'm with you Cyborg on the Simple Green not being thrilled with the results. While it cleans some things okay, I've used it in a ultrasonic cleaner with so so job. It will eat at aluminum after a while and turn it darker. Learned the hard way.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
How's the case cleaning going Simon?
They have been stripped to absolutely bare alloy castings including oilway blanking screws removed etc and the first degrease done. I have tried several alloy cleaners and they are not having any effect so I have decided its dry blast in my blasting cabinet to remove the corrosion and then get a local company to vapour blast to get a decent sealed finish. I'm taking photos at each stage and will post them here, but it may be a week or two as I have other things on the go as well such as get the blasting cabinet working properly as there appears to be a blockage somewhere.

yorchie

VOC Member
Milkstone Remover used by dairy farms worldwide. Bathroom cleaners use phosphoric acid in ingredients but in lower quantity and you pay a lot for small bottle. Great for taking off rust and corrosion by hand (especially rims and spokes) with a stainless steel scrubby or Green 3M scrubber. Also use for gas tanks to clean out rust. And you can impress your partner when you clean the toilet and shower !

Poor mans Ultrasonic Bath - fill up a bucket with cleaner. Put your item in bucket. Fire up air compressor with hand held air blower attachment and start making some bubbles.

Here is link to UK supplier but am sure any dairy would let you have some and then you can get a tour of a modern dairy and see some amazing technology.

Removes milkstone from bulk tanks, pipeline cleaners, pipeline, milking machines, utensils, and other dairy equipment. Contains phosphoric acid with non-foaming wetting agents for fast penetration of milkstone and hard water deposits. Easy on metals and glassware.