E: Engine Blasting crankcases

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't have any experience with soda blasting, so nothing to offer there. I could never bring myself to use anything abrasive on alloy engine castings. Many years ago I was given some industrial aircraft paint stripper and tried it on a set of Commando cases. The results were absolutely stunning. I ordered up a 5 gallon pail of B15 from https://www.bencosales.com/metal-strippers/ (not that you'd want to try and get some shipped internationally). It works, but not quite as well as the original stuff and it really stinks. The usual process is to apply the stripper (a brass brush helps with the white fuzzy stuff) wipe off any excess, pressure wash and then do a final rinse when the bride is out. Photo shows the cleaned timing side sitting on the yet to be done drive side. On a side note... if you do have something blasted and it looks too bright (like a set of blasted heads that I acquired) a trip through the dish washer with the appropriate detergent will have them coming out with a much more natural looking finish.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I have alway wet blast,
done by a friend.
And besides thourogh cleaning over and over again.
Did also ultra sound bath.
And every thread by an old cutter to clean.
Than again it looked nothing like yours.

Mr. Boring

VOC Member
Be careful using the dishwasher. Some detergents will make aluminum and magnesium oxidize. Do a test batch and send the little lady shopping first!:)

Cyborg

VOC Member
Be careful using the dishwasher. Some detergents will make aluminum and magnesium oxidize. Do a test batch and send the little lady shopping first!:)

Would that matter? It is just speeding up the natural process a bit... yes/no? Although my knowledge of chemistry is limited to turning beer into urine, I assumed the change in colour was due to oxidization. It made the heads look way better (at least to me). The bright blasted (no idea what with) finish just looked out of place. Every time I looked at them, it reminded me of how much I hate abrasive blasting.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
First ever try sodablasting two days ago. Norton head. it was much sooted before. Took a lot of soda.

Bike was last ridden in -85.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Vapor blasting will give the best result of all, almost over restored, but the finish will last for years and resist stains from oil and fuel. The cases will need to be lightly bead/sand blasted first as the vapor blasting process is not strong enough to remove heavy deposits like residual paint, carbon, old sealant and so on. The big down side is trying to mask off areas that you don't want any blast medium to get into. I have done this, but it is nearly impossible to mask off the timing side main bearings and more importantly the oil pump sleeve bore housing. There is a cavity inboard of the upper end of the pump sleeve and this area is impossible to clean, so if blast medium got in there, it might not be pretty...........So..........All engines I do now I remove near everything from the engine first, including all the bearings, oil pump sleeve, and the spindles unless they are in excellent condition, then you can mask them off to stop the ingress of grit. Two other areas of concern are the scavenge passageway, which if you remove the lower external grub screw removes that problem. The other is the cylinder hold down stud holes that pass through to the inside of the crankcases. These studs can be left in but remember to use lots of compressed air and blow vigorously up the holes to remove any grit. These principles should be followed as well if you are going to do the timing cover, all the passageways need to be opened up and thoroughly cleaned out first. I have removed covers off engines where the passageways were full of sand.................... Before you carry out any of this, the cases or whatever need to be thoroughly cleaned of any oil or grease deposits, especially up any holes or threads that have years of oil and crud in them. This is very important, probably most important because the grease and/or oil will act like a glue for the particles of sand/grit to stick to and can be very difficult to remove later. I use a can of brake clean or similar and blast it down all those holes, you end up with crap everywhere, but this is extremely important to get a great result. It is very time consuming, but the results are definitely worth it. Good luck with it all................

bmetcalf

VOC Member
A Memphis, TN Vincent owner posted on the Forum and on jtan some years ago about using ultrasonic baths with various ingredients for cleaning. He was associated with a Porsche racing team that had a bath big enough for 911 cases. I think it was posted here before the upgrade/transition.