Black Shadow ?

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Colour is a personal issue , and personally I'm not a 'red' type of person !! My comment would be , red is going to show up dirt more obviously , and it will tend to stain over time.

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Color Code

Howdy Chaps,

The color code for Porsche Guards Red is LM3A, post 1988 also referred to as Indian red. It was a perfect match for surface of one of the front inside brake backing plates which I left in original paint for future archeologists to ponder.

Unlike old single stage enamels and sprayed lacquers, modern poly urethanes if topped with several (run-risky) wet coats on a good acid-etch base can be resistant to nearly any fluid your machine is likely to expel including brief exposures to battery acids. I routinely wipe my machines down with brake clean on a cloth. The only detectable staining on this machine has been the silver applied to the carb bodies at the point where the bowls join the lids. Expected as tightening down said lids breaks the paint skin at the bowl edge just enough for the gas - a rather lethal brew in the states these days - to penetrate behind.

Cheerio,
Peter
1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience -

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Re: the picture of the Red Touring Shadow. Seems odd to me, a non-red Ferrari to go with it???

Rapide

VOC Member
red rapide

Hi peter,

Great to see you on the forum. the more the merrier!

great red rapide you have, not to mention all the other fantastic bikes you have.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for all your help.

Mickthevin

Non-VOC Member
Black/red Shadow

Thanks To Rapide And Peterg For All Your Help - If I Needed Any More Incentive To Paint It Red Then I Would Only Have To Look At The Photos Posted On The Site - What A Fantastic Bike - And Its The First Time I Have Liked The Touring Mudguards. Once Again Thanks To Every Body For Your Help And Interest And The Bike Will Be On The Road For Next Easter

Mick

aluminiumbronze

VOC Member
red

Hi again,

I replied above pointing you in the direction of a website where a Vincent owner in the States had re-painted his bike in its original red color. http://www.patwilliamsracing.com/vincent/ I emailed him on your behalf and here is his response. You can respond to him via the email address on his website.

I will leave you to follow up with him, he certainly looks like he could help you with the task and sounds like a great guy.

All the best: Rapide.

Howdy James,

Thank you sir. Sure you're familiar with the history of the reds used by Vin. They were done in two batches - one of which included PEV's Bristol automobile on his wife's request - and it is very hard to find this color in its correct tint as almost any exposure to sunlight had a tendency to fade it to pink or a pastel type red. Being from Ohio (up North) and immediately oversprayed with black at time of original sale, my machine had all of its original paint preserved in reasonably good condition all things conidering. The black machines were dipped and the paint thicker and less porous whereas the red machines were sprayed using no primers on critical pices (UFM,RFM) requiring clearanced component fitment and thus prone to runs and tremendous variation in film thickness.

The best ubleached...albeit greasey... original paint was on the backs of the brake plates of which I used one of the fronts to get a match which I had mixed up in BASF/Glassurit. If you like I can get the paint code and email it to you. This paint color is almost exactly the same as Porsche Guards Red used for years on 911's.

Would love to get some pics of this project in progress/completion as my site has been far more popular than I envisioned and I plan to start including pictures of other's machines and projects.

Cheerio,
Peter

http://www.patwilliamsracing.com/vincent

Hi Peter,May I please have the paint code as doing up a red Rapide here in Australia.
Cheers,
Jeffrey.

davidd

VOC Member
Red Comet.jpg

North American 2016 5.jpg

I used Centari paint, a Dupont product, for the red Comet that I sold to Anne Chase. I matched it to a nice original damper cover.

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
Great looking bike David, You sure do nice work.............You can come and play in my workshop anytime........;)..............Cheers......................Greg.

davidd

VOC Member
Thank you Greg. I did paint and build the bike. But, Anne and Dan Chase added the bags and did a lot of detail work. Interestingly, I bought the engine from Jim Baltusnik of the Vincent.com. It was engine only as he sold the matching numbers frame on a twin. I know it was a good move for the money, but I am always sorry to see a Comet broken to make a non matching numbers twin. The twin ended up in an estate and went to an avid biker. I had given Anne the information and she hunted him down and talked him into swapping frames!

Kudos to Anne for persistence! As far as I know there were only 17 red Comets built. She has won a lot of awards with that bike and she put a lot more effort into the bike than shows.

David