Black Shadow rear brake drums?

kick69

Forum User
VOC Member
A question for the masses, our '50 Shadow , which seems original, has finned drums on the front but plain on the rear. Does that seem right,? or did they come out with finned on the back as well. The books have conflicting suggestions, Cheers Jonathan:confused:

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
shadow rear drums

Hello,
It should have ribbed drums with 10 bolts per drum. Regards John.

john998

VOC Member
Would agree with you there, but I always find the the front wheel worst.
Have used allen cap screws for years, so most of the work can be done easily.
This set up has worked well, even with a sidecar.

F

Flatout

Would agree with you there, but I always find the the front wheel worst.
Have used allen cap screws for years, so most of the work can be done easily.
This set up has worked well, even with a sidecar.

I'm getting my Comet rebuilt and I've been advised to go for M8 s/s allen cap screws and M8 s/s Nyloc nuts as it's a huge saving.
The grade is 304 I think. Probably wreck a few blades in the process!

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Metric cap heads & nuts-oh dear! I appreciate the cost cutting factor but as long as Imperial fasteners are still available let's use them. Besides, 8mm
and 5/16ths are not the same thing. The original brake drum bolts are "fitted" bolts for good reason because they are in sheer when braking and, in the case of the rear hub, under acceleration.

clevtrev

VOC Member
What allen screws are there with the right amount of locating diameter under the head ? Even English ones.

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
Metric.

Flatout, can you let me know who is doing your Vincent so that I can make sure that I don't recommend them to anyone, metric bolts on a Vin, PCV will be turning in his grave:eek:

john998

VOC Member
Brake drum bolts

Hello,
Just been out in the cold garage to measure some bolts.
The bag of about 100 original ones has two types. One has a round eccentric head and is .311 under the head. the others are hex head with 2 reduced sides, these are .309 under the head.
The round head type appears better quality, if you will forgive the pun all round.
5/16 is .3125, 8mm is .3150 so I would think unless some malefactor opened out the holes it would be no go, but I do not have any to measure to check.
Imperial allen bolts have served me well for more than 30 years, ideally they should be bolts not set screws. The only drum failure so far has been the sprocket flange coming clean off at Cadwell. John.

john998

VOC Member
Brake drum bolts

Hello,
How sad is this, had a better look at my bag of bolts in day light, and discovered more flavours.
The hex head with flats comes from two makers one type is marker Newton, and has a thin head. The other with a slightly thicker head is stamped with a capital D.
Also found five bolts with a round head that is not eccentric, but has a taper with two flats.
Must try and get a life. John.