'black shadow' engine specs

aaronabutt

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
All in good fun of course!

how about this one:
Can you tell a pair of shadow carbs by looking at them or is it just the numbers that are evident from the outside?

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
shadow carbs

First ,go back to Len's reply re-carb numbers, look at the top of the flange, where the carb mounts to it's adaptor,with me so far? the magic numbers will be there. Having gone through all that, the only way to be sure , is to measure the size of the bore on the engine side and report according . We all were "new boys" once. Asking apparently "idiot" questions is the way forward in my book. Be lucky, Roy.

aaronabutt

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks Roy.
I couldnt seem to find these numbers when I was inspecting and photographing the bike last month. unfortunately I am far away from the bike now and can't check that for a while. What I seem to have are numbers on the adaptor or manifold. If you have time, have a look at the carbs and the number I found (in the attachment on this post) and tell me what you think.
I take it you are saying the numbers I need should be on top dead center of the flange on the carb itself and not the adaptor/manifold.

can I ask another amateur question, what does monoblock mean? I know mono means one so I take it its the kind of carb that doesnt have a separate mixing chamber?

Aaron

Attachments

• closeup of shadow carb numbers on manifold.jpg
    closeup of shadow carb numbers on manifold.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 67
  • shadow left side complete in living room.jpg
    shadow left side complete in living room.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 70

b'knighted

VOC Member
Numbers and names

Hi Aaron,

The ET number on the carburettor is a Vincent part number. Some parts are always called by their number as it can identify a specific part from other similarly described parts. Most of us work from the illustrated parts list in which parts are identified by number, which can then be looked up in its “index” to get a description. This link should let you open the page about D carbs. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1882166/MO104D Monoblocks.jpg Amal made the carbs PR5/6 or PR5/7 and the PR denotes the fact that they were PRoprietary parts bought in from their manufacturer who called that combined float and slide chamber model the Monoblock.

If the link doesn’t work PM me with your email address and I’ll try again.

Cheers,

nkt267

VOC Member
I wasn't being nasty,honest:eek:..I am still asking 'stupid questions' and I've had my Comet since '69( no not 1869) I know I'm getting on but not that much.
The numbers for the carbs 'should' be on the top righthand side of the oval manifold of the carb.
Here is a link to try for carb parts and tips
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/
You can order online or phone these very helpful people.
The man(or woman) who says he knows it all is a bl***y liar or a fool.
We all learn something new or different on this forum.John