Black Shadow Custom

Bracker1

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The bike is put together well from the looks of the picture. I am right now putting a rare Ferrari race engine into a home made frame with a bondoed up body and a nice glossy paint job.
Of course it won't be drivable because I have not a clue about auto/race design. Who needs engineering when I can weld up a nice looking frame. I have just learned to weld so the joints may fall apart but that will be someone eles problem. The plan is to auction the mess to a rube under the guise that it is a valuable Ferrari. That is all these custom piles are. They besmirch the real thing and should not be allowed on the road. I suppose they could be sold be sold as display only. We are fortunate in our club to have members who are blessed with the abilities to build custom motorcycles such as Godet, Mike White, and Sam Margenero(sp) and others. They have had years or building, racing and refining. Their bikes should command high values and should not be confused with the customs built here in the US. The club should buy the bike and put the beloved engine into a spares chassis. Cheers from the North

vibrac

VOC Member
Well I am not a fan of Choppers They seem to miss most the essential joy of a motorcycle-Cornering, working with the forces of nature while not exceeding the 1G we evolved with. (Rather than fighting them in a 4 wheeled machine while exceeding it)
With chopper you have supposed comfort and ease in a straight line but little else.
Having said that this is one of the better ones, the bars are not in a daft position and the suspension looks well thought out, and compared to the silly attempts at a motorcycle seen on the box (Orange county choppers et al) this is a far superior contraption as befits its supposed roots.
I am told that no Vincent components were lost in the construction of this art work and all were 'recycled' by Vincent owners, however its a pity the builder (sculptor?) did not just buy a new set of cases and start from there, because according to any known legal laws about specials, he has hardly gained enough components from the original machine to gain the title '1952' or 'Shadow' though it is undoubtedly black (I suspect Mr Thompsons song had a lot to do with the use of that name) Talk about a grave diggers spade*

(* 60 years old: 4 new blades and six new handles)

Bracker1

VOC Member
My bad. I duplicated my own response. I am done now... I really don't like customs.

Deleted it for you.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Although not a fan of choppers I have to say that this particular bike is extremely well put together, I have viewed it close up on several occasions and have talked to and met the owner/builder on several occasions also, he's actually a pretty nice guy. The bike actually runs well and is very ridable and no vincents were sacrificed in this project. The owner is a club member (I think) and puts a tremendous amount of miles on his BMW. He has actually considered trying to get a ufm, rfm etc for the engine but of course it would still be a bitza! Whatever floats your boat as they say!
mark

Shanghai

VOC Member
Everyone has their own likes and dis-likes. If everyone had the same likes the world would be a very boring place!

jim burgess

VOC Member
I think it is stunning, I would not like the riding position, see the footpegs, and I would not rush to buy it, but it is stunning. Made in America? Land of the free!
Excellent

Jim

Bracker1

VOC Member
I was a bit harsh at first, still don't like the idea of plopping an engine in a frame a letting other people be the test dummies. Heres to a safe riding year, and hope the folks in NZ and Japan well and can get going with their lives. Dan