Black Shadow Carbs

Ken Tidswell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
New type 29 carbs

The Spares Co has an exemplar for checking. as of Thursday. They should be available early March. Order yours now

Vinthou

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Flatout, thank you. I know there was someone in the U.K. about 20 years ago who would sleeve the carb body. Nowadays it seems that sleeving the slide is the preferred practice. I always thought the former might be the better way to go since it left open the option to change slides. I have a worn out 229 that needs some tlc, so any advice is most welcome.

F

Flatout

Flatout, thank you. I know there was someone in the U.K. about 20 years ago who would sleeve the carb body. Nowadays it seems that sleeving the slide is the preferred practice. I always thought the former might be the better way to go since it left open the option to change slides. I have a worn out 229 that needs some tlc, so any advice is most welcome.

Vinthou,
I went to John Coates as I said previously. I had two PM's from members telling me that the 'Maughans' recommended him to them. If they recommend John, he must be good. A very helpful person on the phone and I was just reading last months Classic Bike where there's a Black Shadow that was entered into the CBOTY and John Coates name was mentioned for engine rebuilding.
There seems to be quite a few people offering this service but I am glad that I have given mine to John as he knows Vincents through and through.

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
Black Shadow Carbs.

Finally got the good word from Bill, as follows:-
We hope to have them available by the end of March.
The price will be £375 each.
If you wish to be added to the list please let us know the quantity and type you require.

Regards,

Bill.

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
I placed a very good original 229 front carb on Ebay a couple of weeks ago for a colleague in the Aldershot section. It had a re-sleeved body and was fully refurbished by Steve Wheeler. The highest bid was £260 and it did not reach reserve.

It has gone back on the shelf.

Incidentally Burlen and Amal (Surrey Cycles) have advised me that they expect to be able to supply clip on 289 carbs for around £250 in the next couple of months or so.

Cheers

Vic

F

Flatout

Carb prices

I placed a very good original 229 front carb on Ebay a couple of weeks ago for a colleague in the Aldershot section. It had a re-sleeved body and was fully refurbished by Steve Wheeler. The highest bid was £260 and it did not reach reserve.

It has gone back on the shelf.

Incidentally Burlen and Amal (Surrey Cycles) have advised me that they expect to be able to supply clip on 289 carbs for around £250 in the next couple of months or so.

Cheers

Vic

Seems a hell of a price difference between Surrey Cycles and the VOCSC?
From what I've learn't in the last month it really does pay to shop around when buying parts for Vincents.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
You should check that these are clip fit 289 with 1 1/8 bores. As per the previous thread they are advertising clip fit 276 carbs, not the same thing. If they are the same thing then somebody has either broken an agreement or someone else is making them. We would like confirmation!

Robert

F

Flatout

Burlen.

You should check that these are clip fit 289 with 1 1/8 bores. As per the previous thread they are advertising clip fit 276 carbs, not the same thing. If they are the same thing then somebody has either broken an agreement or someone else is making them. We would like confirmation!

Robert

I gave Burlen a call earlier on today as I needed a new long arm float chamber for my refurbished 229 Comet Carb. When I asked about the 229 / 289 1-1/8 clip on carbs the salesman I spoke to said that they had an agreement with the Vincent Spares Company to supply them only. I didn't get all details from him but the just of it that some money has been invested so the Spares Company deserve to have exclusive right.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Sleeving carbs

Kevin Trail at Alverstoke Restorations did both my carbs within a week, for a very moderate price, about £70 the pair. He bores the body and sleeves the slide. Either the sleeve blocks were OK or I bought new ones, I can't remember now. 02392 580 708 after 1630 will find him. He's at Gosport.
I also bought new jets and needles from Surrey Cycles and was disappointed to find the needles were unplated brass. Bike goes OK though.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Does he refinish them too?

Hi Tom,

I've got a pair of Rapide carbs for refurbishing, I know that John Coates does the re-bore and sleeve job (does them for Maughans too), as does Steve Wheeler as I've seen one of his which was refinished too. Does Kevin refinish the carb and float chamber - if so what is the job like, originally they were not painted I suspect and I'm trying to track down someone who will refinish them like they were originally?

Cheers

Stuart