Black Shadow Carbs

piggywig

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
For quite some time I have been inquiring from all the suppliers of Vincent parts as to the likelihood of 289 11/8"carbs. being available. Recently Burlen Fuel Sytems? emailed details of the proposed manufacture of these carbs and advised they would only be available from the V.O.C. Spares Co.
My emails to the Spares Co. requesting details have gone unanswered, perhaps David & Bill have taken early retirement? (Other unrelated emails to Vin-parts are usually answered by next day!)
Does anyone have up to date info. regarding supplies? As these have not been on offer for many years I imagine there will be good demand and a lengthy queue. I would be interested to hear from other seekers.
Col.

G

Graham Smith

Hi Colin

I spoke with David at the VOC Spares Company Ltd today, and he told me that they try to reply to all emails the very same day they're received. In fact, when I spoke to him, Bill had just finished replying to all the emails that had been received overnight.

He's searched back through his records and can't find anything from you relating to carburettors, so there's obviously a problem somewhere. You may want to give him a buzz?

Regarding the new carburettors: The 289s are virtually finished, but they've run into a minor problem on the 229s, which should be finished shortly, and they provisionally hope to have both products available for sale at the end of March.

If you have made your interest known to Dave/Bill, they will be contacting you shortly for a deposit - so get your cheque books out!

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Surrey Cycles is advertising thim in Old Bike Mart this month aren't they?

I may be wrong but these are being advertised by Surrey Cycles in Old Bike Mart this month.

Stuart

G

Graham Smith

If this is true, David Meadowcroft would be interested to know this, as the VOC Spares Company Ltd have a written contract stating that they are the sole supplier of 289s and 229s.

Last edited by a moderator:

vapide

Non-VOC Member
I am hoping that VOC Spares will make bodies available as replacement parts. It would make a good alternative to resleeving, and still be considerably cheaper than buying a whole new carburettor just to tighten up the slide.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
One of the problems with tese carbs is that not only do they get loose slide/body but also get loose slide/jet block. They best way to restore these is to make new oversize jet blocks!

Robert

F

Flatout

I am hoping that VOC Spares will make bodies available as replacement parts. It would make a good alternative to resleeving, and still be considerably cheaper than buying a whole new carburettor just to tighten up the slide.

I've got John Coates resleeving a carb for me 229/1DV. I'm a rookie with this Vincent stuff but at £55 I would say it's bargain basement. Surely a new body will cost at least double as I was told that they are going to be around £400 complete. Ouch!

F

Flatout

Boring the body, sleeving the slide.

Flatout, Is he boring the body and sleeving the slide, or sleeving the body back to standard ?

He's boring the body and sleeving the slide. A spare 229 1DV that I have looks like the body has been sleeved at some stage.