Black Shadow Carbs

F

Flatout

Hi Tom,

I've got a pair of Rapide carbs for refurbishing, I know that John Coates does the re-bore and sleeve job (does them for Maughans too), as does Steve Wheeler as I've seen one of his which was refinished too. Does Kevin refinish the carb and float chamber - if so what is the job like, originally they were not painted I suspect and I'm trying to track down someone who will refinish them like they were originally?

Cheers

Stuart

Stuart,
I'm leaving my carb and float chamber as they are. If I paint tham them the paint will probably come off when petrol 'hits' it.

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Carb costs

The front carb is opposite handed, and has a market limited almost entirely to Vincent owners. Whether a brass sand-casting or a Mazak die-casting, a smaller batch will bear the tooling costs. Good job that VOC has the market strength to commission a batch large enough to make it an economic venture. They do look much better with the original gas works, and they don't go badly either.

F

Flatout

The front carb is opposite handed, and has a market limited almost entirely to Vincent owners. Whether a brass sand-casting or a Mazak die-casting, a smaller batch will bear the tooling costs. Good job that VOC has the market strength to commission a batch large enough to make it an economic venture. They do look much better with the original gas works, and they don't go badly either.

I've just seen two sets of shadow carbs advertised on 'The Bay'. Looks like serious £££. I can only guess a few more will appear before the VOCSC have them in stock.

G

Graham Smith

229s and 289s

I saw the finished carburettors from Amal the other day, and they look absolutely beautiful. If I didn't have an original pair on my Shadow, I know what I'd be asking Santa for!

If you're planning on going to the GCM on Sunday, I understand Dick Wheeldon (our Hon. Liaison Officer) will be taking a pair along for everyone to admire.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Shadow Carbs

I don't believe the current high price of second-hand ORIGINAL Shadow carbs will drop much at all with the advent of the new ones; there are always a band of enthusiasts who want ORIGINAL parts. But time will tell.

Regards,

Peter Barker,
Bristol, UK

vapide

Non-VOC Member
My prediction is that if anything prices on the old ones will go UP as a result. Seems to be the pattern, that when repros finally get made, the prices are so insane that everyone with old ones jack their prices up to match.

After all look what has happened to used TT/GP prices in the last few years, since new ones became available.

I don't believe the current high price of second-hand ORIGINAL Shadow carbs will drop much at all with the advent of the new ones; there are always a band of enthusiasts who want ORIGINAL parts. But time will tell.

Regards,

Peter Barker,
Bristol, UK

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I had a quick look at the new 11/8th" carbs at the GCM last Sunday. My immediate comment was "They are both front ones but why is one cast in brass (or bronze) and the other in Marzac?"I was told that Marzac was standard for the rear one (not true, there are brass rear ones-I've got one). But why,oh why use two different materials? Surely most people would prefer a pair made from the same material (preferably brass I would imagine.):confused:

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
Carbs.

I had a look at them to. The first thing that I noticed was that they had far to much play in the slide, the 11/16" carbs that were made two years ago were the same.

Russ

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Hello Vic, as I said in my previous comment the carbs displayed at the GCM were both front ones with the adjusting screws on the left. Dick Wheeldon told me that Burlen were aware of this and production versions would be correct. I'm still puzzled as to why they were cast from two different metals.:confused: