ET: Engine (Twin) Black Shadow ATD

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Richard,

If you can find a Vincent ATD I would endeavor to do so. That would save you some time even if the ATD that you have can be modified.

The aluminum gear seems to be in good shape, so I would be inclined to leave it alone for the time being.

There is some type of damage to the rear cam spindle or the timing cover. It would be nice if you could post a photo of the inside of your timing cover. There should be four Simmonds nuts and there are only three. There is a round disc in place of one of the correct nut on the rear cam. This nut controls the oil to the cam, so it may indicate that the cam has been damaged. I would rank this as "high priority," but everything may be fine, it is just something we rarely see. Each spindle that has a hole through it should have a Simmonds nut (like a Nyloc). The three that you have on there seem to have a red material inside them. It may just have been the lack of a Simmonds nut.

David

Dynamiteboss

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Many thanks to all that have replied.

I believe Lone Star has found the problem; my newly purchased ATD has mismatched parts. I will return it to the vendor and get the proper one for my Vincent. Thanks much Lone Star. Others may want to look at the information (above) you sent me.

The view of my timing chest is as I found it originally. It had a multitude of problems; the front exhaust spindle had come loose, damaging the case, front cam, follower & timed breather, many missing nuts, washers & spacers, spindles rotating in the case, missing bits from the exhaust valve lifting system and more.

All moving parts in the timing chest have been replaced with latest updated new parts, including replacing the aluminum idler with a steel one.

Hopefully I can go for a start up this spring.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Interesting from Lone Star, There are only 2 Clockwise ones , And the other one has only 19 teeth ?.
I have never been a fan of the ATD, I prefer the "D" Distributor,
But it's what ever you have.

Dynamiteboss

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Interesting from Lone Star, There are only 2 Clockwise ones , And the other one has only 19 teeth ?.
I have never been a fan of the ATD, I prefer the "D" Distributor,
But it's what ever you have.
I suspect that somehow, during assembly, that the mechanism from a 47553 unit got put onto a 48 tooth gear, and is now giving me grief. I did the math on the amount of rotation: my old ATD will give @ 33 degrees advance at the crankshaft. The new ATD will give @ 21.